Talk

Advanced search

Can you read the questions to children during a reading assessment?

(11 Posts)
Nonie241419 Wed 17-Dec-14 21:06:36

We've just done our end of term assessments. I'm in Year 6 this year, having moved from lower KS2. In every reading assessment test I've ever administered in the past, I have read the initial instructions and then told children I can't read anything else. My (new to me) job share (who's been in Y6 for a few years), assigned both of us, plus the TAs, to support LA chn by reading the questions. I queried that in some surprise but job share was insistent it was fine and that it was a test of comprehension, not just reading.
I ran it past some colleagues further down school today and they were horrified that we'd read questions, and showed me KS1 papers which make it clear that the teacher is not to read the questions. I checked the instructions on our paper, but there were no specific teacher instructions, it just said 'Read the text and answer the questions'. Is it a grey area, as it doesn't explicitly say chn must read the questions? Is it the norm in upper KS2 to have readers for reading assessments? If we're doing it wrong, I'll tackle my colleague, but they are senior management with a lot of power and I am pretty much just considered their cover teacher (my performance management is linked to this class though, and Ofsted are due, so I don't want to be party to wrongly administered assessments and inflated levels/whatever they're called now).

Moleyjay Wed 17-Dec-14 21:13:40

I teach yr6 and have never read the questions in a reading test.

Potcallingkettle Wed 17-Dec-14 21:18:15

This is strictly not done. See page 15 of the test admin instructions from last year.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/302818/2014_KS2_TAG_fullbooklet_WEB3.pdf
You may read maths questions as the skill tested there is not reading but never the reading comp. What is worth doing is having someone to remind the children to move on otherwise they can waste time staring at questions that are too tricky. On the old papers, another useful advance tactic was to tell the lowest ability children to try and answer as many 1 mark questions as possible however this no longer works in the new format. 3 of the trickiest questions last year only had one mark.
Worth reading the official guidance on test admin. If you were inspected during test week and seen reading the reading comp to them, the whole cohort could have their results declared invalid. Go to your head immediately if your colleague insists on this. It is wrong on so many levels.

Nonie241419 Wed 17-Dec-14 21:32:15

Oh god, that's what I was fearing, especially as when I queried it I said that we couldn't do it in SATs and job share just shrugged - rather implying that we can/do. I'm new to the role and job share is dominating and resistant to my input (I was moved to this role without consultation as it enabled the job share and previous Head to recruit another teacher they wanted).
I think I'll have to voice my concerns to job share first (probably by email as I'll just be talked round otherwise) and then if they won't budge go to the (new) Head and risk job share being less than happy with me.

Potcallingkettle Wed 17-Dec-14 22:20:22

https://www.gov.uk/key-stage-2-tests-how-to-use-access-arrangements#readers
Specific information on use of readers. Forgot to mention you can use them for SPAG tests. Just send this to your colleague.
Good luck.

Nonie241419 Wed 17-Dec-14 23:19:54

Thanks, pot. I'll steel myself to be assertive about this.

HoHonutty Wed 17-Dec-14 23:21:02

No, definitely not!

chilephilly Thu 18-Dec-14 22:12:41

Wonder if this explains us testing Y7 L5 kids and finding they are L3? The L5 still stands tho, which means GCSE targets are A*, (ridiculous) and our Perf Man is judged on this.....

Potcallingkettle Fri 19-Dec-14 00:02:09

This is not common practice in any primary school I have known.

spanieleyes Wed 24-Dec-14 19:23:02

Absolutely no reading allowed, although some of our severely dyslexic children qualify for a scribe ( as it would be impossible to read their writing!!)

Iwantacampervan Wed 24-Dec-14 20:28:57

Definitely no reading the passages or questions but you can scribe for those that qualify.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now