Talk

Advanced search

How much has teasing changed?

(9 Posts)
GingerbreadPudding Tue 16-Dec-14 22:11:56

I misread a topic title on here as 'how much has teasing changed' when it actually said 'how much has teaching changed.'

Anyway, it got me thinking. I've been teaching about 15 years in primary. In that time I have seen teasing change a bit. There is less 'gay' teasing now. I never hear any racial teasing, but I honestly never have done. I don't think racial difference is something primary aged children care about. However I did hear an exchange a year ago which I was shocked by.

One boy said to another 'you're such a Muslim!' Both children white. Not Muslims. I asked what he meant and he said 'he just over-reacts to everything.' I've not heard of any trading like this before, or since actually.

Have you noticed any teasing changes over the years?

Mostlyjustaluker Wed 17-Dec-14 16:42:37

I am secondary and it now mostly happens on social media.

DontGotoRoehamptonUniversity Wed 17-Dec-14 18:41:55

they call it 'banter' now.

EvilTwins Wed 17-Dec-14 20:18:39

Homophobic teasing has definitely decreased. I don't think I ever really heard much racist teasing.

They still go in about each other's mums the whole time, and yes, now it's "banter" hmm

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 17-Dec-14 20:28:48

I hear lots of kids calling each other gay. And inanimate objects too, as in, "That coat is so gay".

DontGotoRoehamptonUniversity Wed 17-Dec-14 20:32:54

Agree ET - can; think of anything racist or homophobic for ages - a few days ago some boys were jostling and someone said, 'they just love each other Miss', but was definitely light-hearted, so as they wouldn't be in trouble for paly-fighting not homophobic, whereas a few years back would have been a barb they would have sniggered at, and would have turned unpleasant. Have had a few fights break about over insults to mums tho'.

DontGotoRoehamptonUniversity Wed 17-Dec-14 20:34:25

can't

BigBird69 Thu 18-Dec-14 20:26:54

I've come across "retard" and "special" quite a bit. Nothing racial but quite a bit of very unpleasant homophobic "banter" (if that's what it's now called!) at what point to people think that 'teasing' becomes 'bullying'?

Icedfinger Sat 20-Dec-14 21:15:21

Yep less homophobic, although had a boy call a girl a lesbian the other day. Less generally though.

A lot of teasing about 'stuff' eg cards, clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now