Talk

Advanced search

Today I 'observed' the teacher I want to be...

(20 Posts)
DontGotoRoehamptonUniversity Tue 16-Dec-14 19:41:11

I am a supply teacher, so don't usually get to see other people's lessons, but today the subject teacher wanted to start the lesson off and so I waited and observed. Was so impressed - better than any I observed in my own training - gave me great ideas to improve my own practice. And made me think - all around there are really inspiring teachers who are daily giving fab lessons that their bosses don't see - I just wish there was a way of this being noticed somehow... Fed back to the staff I met at lunchtime, but obviously sounds a bit cheesy coming from a supply teacher...

This is lovely, and doesn't sound cheesy at all. Did you tell him/her? Hope so - you'd have made their day.

saadia Tue 16-Dec-14 20:11:26

That is really lovely OP. When I did supply I copied a lesson that a teacher had planned for me to teach and used it in a subsequent interview lesson and got the job.

I haven't had much opportunity to observe other teachers so have been resorting to youtube for examples. Could you say what one or two of the best aspects of the lesson were?

FabulousFudge Tue 16-Dec-14 22:12:53

How lovely! I hope you told her (and perhaps someone on the SLT,) I learned soooo much from supply. I loved it!

DontGotoRoehamptonUniversity Wed 17-Dec-14 16:56:57

(Thanks - did not see her again yesterday, but did get a call from the school today asking me back this week - I couldn't go as pre-booked elsewhere, but did take the oppo to tell the HoD what I told you - she seemed pleased so hope she will pass on to that teacher, and next time I go back will do myself)

Nonie241419 Wed 17-Dec-14 21:08:57

I love going watching my colleagues teach as I always learn something new. I wish we were all more open to sharing good practice as I'd love to observe teachers in other settings too.

PurpleAlert Wed 17-Dec-14 23:45:08

This is such good practice. Shame SMTs in most schools are more intent on endless learning walks, book/ planning scrutinies and lesson observations (and often when the observer has no experience of what they are observing...)

DontGotoRoehamptonUniversity Thu 18-Dec-14 17:03:27

Purple indeed! I have been observed by history/geog/maths experts who are disappointed that the Year 8s are not merrily covering in fluent German grin

DontGotoRoehamptonUniversity Thu 18-Dec-14 17:03:55

conversing

As a person who frequently both observes and is observed by others, I would say that both are enormously helpful in improving my own practice. I've learned a lot from watching teachers in other departments, as well as from having a range of people observe me.

rollonthesummer Sat 20-Dec-14 09:55:30

I've learned a lot from watching teachers in other departments, as well as from having a range of people observe me

I have observed a fair few teachers in my time-it's always interesting and I've picked up some useful ideas. I can honestly say though, I don't think I've learnt anything useful by being observed myself-by our management, anyway. I find it's done it in a threading way- much more intimidating than any Ofsted inspection I've had and the positive things they commented on, I knew they would like anyway as they bang on about them obsessively!

I suspect my management is just crap though!

Tbh what I find particularly helpful is PGCE, NQT, new teachers etc observing me - because when they ask questions it makes me justify why I'm doing what I'm doing, and if I can't then it makes me review what I do!

rollonthesummer Sat 20-Dec-14 16:40:35

Yes, that's true-it makes you be a 'reflective practioner' to use the title of an Inset we once had!

Peer obs would be far more beneficial to my career development than SMT obs. I don't think PMR is really about supporting career development though and more to do with restricting pay!!

Mmmm. Well, I'm a member of SLT so I really hope that PMR is more useful than that in our place! smile

rollonthesummer Sat 20-Dec-14 19:25:10

That's reassuring to hear. My SMT have totally lost their way.

partialderivative Tue 23-Dec-14 08:33:35

A lovely post.

I have been teaching nearly 30 years and unfortunately I do not get to observe my colleagues nearly enough. I know they have so much I could learn from and I am always looking for ways to improve my own teaching.

And as a previous poster noted, it is also useful to have your own lessons observed by peers.

happystory Tue 23-Dec-14 08:38:37

That's lovely, isn't it? Good teaching is such a skill, a performance almost. And to be observed keeps you on your toes too, pity we can't all do it more often.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 23-Dec-14 08:41:04

Was so impressed - better than any I observed in my own training - gave me great ideas to improve my own practice.

Spill! I am always on the look out for splendid techniques.

longtallsally2 Tue 23-Dec-14 08:50:15

Cover teacher here, and when not needed to cover absent staff I work as an extra TA so get to see staff teach - agree that it is hugely helpful.

If you are supply and don't work every day, can you contact that member of staff and ask if you can come and spend a moring with her, as a form of training for you? IME some (secure) teachers are very happy to have an extra pair of hands around for an hour/a morning/a day - others prefer not to, but are usually happy to say 'no thanks'

clayspaniel Wed 31-Dec-14 18:49:55

Was so impressed - better than any I observed in my own training - gave me great ideas to improve my own practice

You can learn so much more from observing others than being observed (but I suppose that isn't the point). What particularly stood out OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now