Talk

Advanced search

Private tutoring

(7 Posts)
caramelsky Tue 09-Dec-14 18:55:42

Hi, I've recently had a big house move and stepped down as Head of Department to ordinary classroom teacher for now - and am loving it.

I'd like to boost my income a tiny bit and am looking at private tutoring but am wondering where to start; any thoughts?

Thanks smile

FabulousFudge Tue 09-Dec-14 20:40:01

Word of mouth in my experience.

Mitzi50 Fri 12-Dec-14 14:15:55

I have got some work through the First Tutors website - it doesn't cost you anything, you can correspond throughout the website with potential clients and then the client pays (?£15) if they want your contact details.

Ehhn Fri 12-Dec-14 14:33:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ehhn Fri 12-Dec-14 14:38:32

Sorry, have reposted an edited version and reported my previous post as I put in too many personal details.

First tutors is great - I earn about an above average wage per year tutoring, which is significantly more than I earn as a part time lecturer. Start small, build up. When I started 7 years ago, I only earned 6k. Gradually built from there. Be flexible and be willing to tutor all the major syllabi and you will build your profile quickly.

It is not the same as teaching, unless you assist with homeschooling. It's a much more supportive, exploratory role, with minimal preparation - the student tells you what they want to do. It can actually be a lot of fun! It's pure education, without limits. And often a very important pastoral role, too. You can end up being the sounding board for all sorts of problems and school issues and can be integral to keeping young people motivated about education, or restore their faith in their own abilities. It's really allowing us to do what we all signed up to when we chose education as a career, but are often frustrated by the limitations placed on us by paperwork, health and safety, departmental or governmental protocol, budgets etc (we had an email today from uni warning us not to accept Christmas presents as it falls under bribery regs. It is excruciating having to be either presumptuous and make an announcement in a lecture, or be cruel and send the present back with the poor student).

Ps. If you have an iPad, it's a brilliant tutoring tool.

negrilbaby Fri 02-Jan-15 17:41:00

Sorry for butting-in here but Ehhn, can you let me know what sort of hours you do?

Clonakiltylil Fri 02-Jan-15 18:38:23

Hello. The ATL gives guidance on this.
https://www.atl.org.uk/help-and-advice/other-issues/private-tuition.asp

You might find this article interesting as well.
https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6009336

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now