Talk

Advanced search

Can public money be used for a staff night in?

(14 Posts)
calzone Fri 05-Dec-14 18:12:36

And spent on puddings and booze? blushblush

InfinitySeven Fri 05-Dec-14 18:13:24

You must know that this won't go down well...

calzone Fri 05-Dec-14 18:32:45

I do......
But......if it is happening......how is it not illegal to do so?

rollonthesummer Fri 05-Dec-14 18:33:58

More details needed...

calzone Fri 05-Dec-14 18:46:53

£500 given to school from HT approved by govs to say thanks for all the hard work.

It has kicked off as some want to spend it on booze and some don't drink......

Sits very badly with me and if the press got hold of it......kaboom!!

FuzzyWizard Fri 05-Dec-14 19:11:53

Normal at our school and all the other schools I've been to. Governors always grant a certain amount of money for the staff Christmas lunch and end of year BBQ. They know it's a good investment, the goodwill they get back in terms of unpaid overtime is worth it. The school also provide breakfast, water and snacks for kids on exam days and treats in the staffroom every Friday morning.

calzone Fri 05-Dec-14 19:13:59

Ok.....maybe it is legitimate then ��

((It is just that morale is at an all time low and this has segregated staff even more....))

LittleBairn Fri 05-Dec-14 19:17:05

I don't see the problem if its been given to directly reward staff.

Cluesue Fri 05-Dec-14 19:20:57

Does it come out of the school budget?

FuzzyWizard Fri 05-Dec-14 19:22:42

In our school, yes.

Timeforabiscuit Fri 05-Dec-14 19:27:28

Sounds bloody cheap to me!

Think about the staff training days, the Ofsted prep, the marking and class prep! And pop a pay freeze as the cherry on the top!

I'd be thinking £500 per person as being more reasonable for the typical well performing teacher! You can't even go for a lunchtime meal like most offices, even thats in your own time.

And you miss your own kids nativity, sports day etc etc etc.

Like I said £500 is cheap, but it is a gesture -

Mostlyjustaluker Fri 05-Dec-14 19:34:42

I would hate a night in school.

PurpleAlert Sat 06-Dec-14 10:22:27

When we have staff training the school often provides lunch and on parents nights (we have long ones from 3.30- 9) they usually get in some pizzas for us to have in a spare few minutes.

When we go out for end of term dos we all pay for ourselves.

We get given a free school Christmas dinner confused but only if we go and help, serve meals, spread Christmas cheer etc.

The most recent survey of teachers hours showed that on average a full time teacher works 60 hours a week...

Directed time is 32.5 hours a week. (i.e. what we actually get paid for.)

As for all those school holidays-Many teachers work through the majority of these and we don't get paid for them either. hmm

I think £500 as a gesture of goodwill sounds like a nice idea.

That is of course if, with teachers leaving the profession in droves, there are any staff left to treat!

calzone Sat 06-Dec-14 11:02:53

Good point Purple.....if there are any left! ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now