Talk

Advanced search

Last minute top tips needed - year 6 teacher with no voice

(6 Posts)
Nonie241419 Wed 03-Dec-14 22:58:45

My voice started out as a bit scratchy this morning, but has steadily disappeared over the course of the evening. I'm clinging to the hope that sleep will fix it, but in case it doesn't, does anyone have any top tips for classroom management with no voice?
My class are pretty hard work, and I have a determined knot of children who relentlessly narrate everything, and swagger about full of attitude. I can appeal to the rest of the children and I know they'll be very accommodating, but how do I manage the difficult ones?

apotatoprintinapeartree Wed 03-Dec-14 23:03:51

put them in charge?
Ask them to help you.
Either that or get your class to join you and you all do a day's silence.
Teach them to mime?

quellerosiel Wed 03-Dec-14 23:10:25

Practice the when you raise your hand, everyone does and is silent. I'm a drama teacher and it works a treat for calming a busy room quickly plus it means they keep half an eye on you. I use it all the time tbh! Breathe deep down and speak from your tummy, it will support what voice you have left smile (special interest in voice production, a skill I firmly believe teachers should be properly trained in!)

sallysparrow157 Wed 03-Dec-14 23:18:12

My mum is a yr 6 teacher and managed it somehow, as did my teacher when I was in yr 6. They basically relied on their pupils accepting the fact they as a teacher was at a disadvantage and there was a lot of use of the whiteboard and also straightforward tasks on worksheets that needed filling in
Both my mum and my teacher admitted at a later date that they worked many many days when they really, for their own good and that of their pupils, should have called in sick

Nonie241419 Wed 03-Dec-14 23:29:59

Thanks so much. I'll try them all!
I am probably not really fit for work, but I am only a part timer and have already moved my days this week from Tues & Weds, to Weds &Thurs because of having to be at home with a vomiting toddler on Tuesday. Ironically, if I'd have done my normal days I'd now be done for the week and wouldn't have to worry about the lack of voice!

LittleRedRidingHoodie Thu 04-Dec-14 20:53:50

When I lose my voice I type on the IWB. So I will literally type what I would be saying. They go deathly silent as they read it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now