Advanced search

How could I get into teaching?

(5 Posts)
HotSpicedApple Tue 02-Dec-14 16:37:03

I'm not sure if anyone here will know, but here goes...

I have ten GCSE's all A-C
2 x A-levels
I then went to college with the view of becoming a primary school teacher, and did an HND in Early Childhood Studies which led to a BA in Early Childhood Studies. Annoyingly, I didn't complete the honours due to family circumstances so have just the BA element. As at least 5 years have now passed since I graduated I'm unable to study now to complete it.
Without the honours I understand I can't apply to the PGCE.

Anyone know how/if I could still get into teaching? Would it literally be a case of starting a whole degree from scratch again?

MaybeDoctor Tue 02-Dec-14 16:49:33

Almost certainly not!

You should be able to do further modules and/or a dissertation to upgrade to Hons. Contact a local university and ask about credit transfer.

Also consider carefully the age range you would like to work with. It may be that early years professional status would be a quicker route than QTS, although you would mostly work in early years settings rather than schools - salaries tend to be lower too.

toomuchicecream Tue 02-Dec-14 19:19:22

Don't know if it's still around, but there used to be a thing called the Registered Teacher Programme (RTP) which was very similar to the GTP but for non-graduates. I only know that the wife of the first head master I worked for had done this.

wannabestressfree Tue 02-Dec-14 19:44:55

Second the RTP you train and get paid 'on the job'. My partner did one and is now SLT in a school.

EveryNight Tue 02-Dec-14 19:55:05

Contact your uni, there should be a way to upgrade your degree by doing another module or two. There will be a time limit though so I'd get on it quickly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: