Talk

Advanced search

Tea and coffee in the staffroom.....how do you sort it out and who pays for it?

(76 Posts)
calzone Sun 30-Nov-14 16:50:55

Morale is at an all time low and the segregation is high.

We used to pay (a lot) of money and everything was provided.

As always, some do not pay but still drink and eat and so a few decided to bring their own and not pay.

This situation is now utterly ridiculous.

Milk, tea, coffee is labelled by year group, no one will share biscuits or sweeteners and it is embarrassing when visitors arrive as to what they can drink.

I brought in milk and biscuits for everyone to use to try and get it back on track but it was all used in a day and not replaced.

We need team building. We need to sort this out.

Heeeelp!!!!!

Any thoughts? shockshock

makeitabetterplace Sun 30-Nov-14 17:07:46

We all give a fiver a term and if there's anything left over at the end of term it goes in biscuits. I pay even though I only drink water as I want to be able to offer visitors tea and I think it's a pain when people don't chip in. Of course some people still bring various hippy teas or whatever. We tried a pay machine but it was horrible tasting and no one remembered 20ps.

Panzee Sun 30-Nov-14 17:13:31

Anyone who uses pays £1 a week, tea/coffee, sugar and milk. No biscuits.
I am a grinch so buy my own. grin

EvilTwins Sun 30-Nov-14 17:46:20

Ours is provided for us. Tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits in the staffroom. There's a water heater so there's always boiling water on tap. We make our own but don't pay for it.

This was organised when we were at at all-time-low in terms of morale. It's made a difference because people didn't used to use the staffroom much and now they do.

Sometimes people bring cakes in on their birthdays too.

Thatssofunny Sun 30-Nov-14 17:49:52

We pay £2.50 or £5 per month (depending on how much we use), which pays for tea, coffee, milk, sugar, hot chocolate. People bring biscuits or cake in every now and then, but there's no obligation to do that. If there's money left over, we might all get a month without having to pay or we get biscuits for everyone.
Whoever is on duty also gets a hot drink brought out to them, which I really like. smile
There's a list with everyone's name on it...and you get hunted down mercilessly, if you owe any money. They know which room you are mostly likely to be in. smile

Turquoisetamborine Sun 30-Nov-14 17:50:47

My mam works in a school. She runs a system where she buys tea, coffee, milk and chocolate and charges per item. Something like 20p a hot drink and 50p a bar of choc.

Any profits are put into the breakfast club (deprived area). Works well and the charity aspect means staff are unlikely to abuse it.

Jojay Sun 30-Nov-14 17:51:05

We charge £5 a term but it's going to have to go to £5 per half term because the chats aren't covered. I work in the office and order it as required and bring milk in too.

Tanaqui Sun 30-Nov-14 17:54:54

Idk, as I have always been in schools where everyone contributes ( usually less if you don't have milk), but is hard if people start using lots in cereal/ hot choc. However is grim as a supply teacher if you can't have a cuppa unless someone personally makes you one. Most achools I've been in will add a bit from petty cash for supply/ governors, etc.

slightlyworriednc Sun 30-Nov-14 17:55:49

Those who drink hot drinks put in a fiver a half term which goes on coffee, teabags, milk and sugar. Biscuits appear around once a week when someone's feeling generous! Lots of people bring cakes on their birthday.

Maidupmum Sun 30-Nov-14 18:18:06

I'm a HT & I provide it all. It was like that when I started at the school & I don't like the idea of the 'tea club' tea and the 'non-tea club' tea etc. It divides the staff.
It really costs very little to provide tea/coffee/milk/sugar. It means that its all available if I need it for parents/visitors
.... now we just need to work on the dishwasher/cleaning up rota & getting the staff to put their dishes in the dishwasher not next to it or in the sink. I'd hate to see some of their houses, they must be hovels if our staffroom is anything to go by wink

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 30-Nov-14 18:26:55

I really think it should be done as maid up does it and any HT worth their salt ought to either pay for it themselves or ensure governors do. Ridiculously low cost really!

Tanaqui Sun 30-Nov-14 19:13:49

I wouldn't like to pay for a big secondary!

calzone Sun 30-Nov-14 19:14:29

I agree with maid. grin

Which fund does the money come from?
Not your personal income, surely?

calzone Sun 30-Nov-14 19:15:58

We have a rota.....

Mon....Foundation
Tue....ks1
Wed.....all TAs
Thu.....y3, 4
Fri....y5, 6

EvilTwins Sun 30-Nov-14 19:24:32

Mine is a secondary. I don't know which fund it comes from but I do know that everyone is very grateful indeed! We used to have one of the ladies from the canteen come in at break time to serve teas and coffees (and monitor biscuit consumption!) but since the canteen provider has changed we do our own now (and the PE dept nick the biscuits)

In my first school we had a lady in at break who made drinks and then sold them along with snacks. It was lovely but terrible for my waistline - I did develop a hardcore coffee and twix habit grin

Maidupmum Sun 30-Nov-14 19:26:54

Oh, I rarely actually make the tea but I do drink it!
It just comes out of school fund. I top it up when I go to Costco & we tend to use the leftover children's milk!

DontGotoRoehampton Sun 30-Nov-14 19:34:47

I go to lots of schools (supply teacher) and is interesting that the Academies seem to provide it FOC for staff - primaries and council-run secondaries have some kind of cobbled together rota.
Was recently in a primary, nightmare day with insane marking regime etc, I managed between 8 and 5.30 to get to the staffroom to make one cup of tea (which went cold before I could drink it) and was sharply reminded by the HT as she saw me emerge with my mug that I must remember to put my 20p in the box. (I had).
That school begged asked my agency if I would return for a long assignment. No way Jose!

Hulababy Sun 30-Nov-14 19:42:10

Milk: everyone who uses milk puts £5 a half-term into a pot, part timers pay pro rata. We have a cleaning up team rota and same team each week is responsible for nipping over to the shop and using some of the money to buy a big bottle of milk - topping up during week if we need to. Used to use milkman but he was very expensive tbh.
There is a note up for supply teachers, student teachers, etc to put 20p per drink into the pot.

Coffee/Tea: everyone brings a box/jar each half term.

Sugar/sweetners: people tend to bring them in if they use them.

Cakes/Biscuits etc: people just bring them in as and when they feel like it.

Everyone then just shares. We don't have specific cups and mugs, no set seats, etc. I am sure there will be some who end up putting in more than others at times - there always is - but it generally evens out and everyone seems fairly relaxed over it.

Hulababy Sun 30-Nov-14 19:43:02

Oh and schools pays for extra for official visitors, parents, govenors, etc.

LoveWillTearUsApart Sun 30-Nov-14 19:50:08

Ours is paid for for us, following a period of low morale (wondering if I'm at the same school as EvilTwins now! grin)

We used to have to pay £10 a short term, pro rata'd for part timers.

We do get basic biscuits provided, but you know what staffrooms are like! We bring in exciting biscuits once a week on average - no rota, just when people feel like it. There's always an excited frisson when someone says they've brought biscuits in biscuit biscuit biscuit biscuit biscuit

calzone Sun 30-Nov-14 20:03:48

Am gonna speak to Dep Head tomorrow to sort this out and ask if milk can be paid for out of school fund.

Am not bothered bout biscuits and am happy to bring my own coffee....

DustInTheWind Sun 30-Nov-14 20:07:00

Like Don'tgo, I'm a supply and the different variations are very odd.
I can cope fine with free, or put 50p in the pot. What is hard is when you go to a school and they all bring their own, so there's no facility for visitors or supply to have a hot drink.

notnowImreading Sun 30-Nov-14 20:07:15

We all bring our own tea and coffee but the school provides milk free of charge. Actually what ends up happening is that the HoDs buy most of the coffee.

mrsmilesmatheson Sun 30-Nov-14 20:08:34

We used to pay quite a lot which covered tea coffee sugar and milk etc. then we complained that it was all being used by visitors and we couldn't afford it.

We now pay £1 a term for milk and bring our own tea bags etc. it works out much much cheaper.

School fund buys a stock of tea and coffee for visitor which we are not allowed to touch.

teacher54321 Sun 30-Nov-14 20:13:43

Tea, coffee, milk and sugar are free and people bring cakes in on their birthdays or for thank yous for school events (eg I buy stuff after a concert when lots of people help out) lunches are free if you do a duty or club that day.

In my old job (boarding school) everything was free, breakfast if you were in early, biscuits at break time, lunch, afternoon tea and supper. Tea and coffee, cheeseboard after lunch. Was incredibly civilised and is something I miss!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now