Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Really, really nervous - interview lesson observation.

(9 Posts)
TheRainInTheWoods Sat 29-Nov-14 22:09:04

So it's been 12 years since I started teaching and never ever have I had to teach a lesson as part of an interview process. I know. I can't think how I've avoided it. Every observation I've ever had on the job has either been good or outstanding (apart from a couple back when I started) so there's not too much wrong with my classroom practice. However - my nerves are absolutely getting the better of me at the moment.

I've been doing very part time jobs for a while, while the DCs are small and I feel that the time might have come to step up a bit again. I've probably got an interview the week after next (I had to meet with the DHead the other day and she mentioned I'd be called).

I am hideously terrified already. How did you stay calm? The panic's setting in so much I can't even think what to teach... they've not told me the class/age I'll be with at the moment.

Tips? A smack round the face? Really, it's all welcome. I just can't stop thinking I'm going to teach a shit lesson and they'll all laugh at me!

TheRainInTheWoods Sat 29-Nov-14 22:10:26

That should say Deputy Head. She's not a 'D' Head in the MN sense of the 'D', despite being very nice. grin

misssmapp Sat 29-Nov-14 22:17:50

I've observed a few teachers as part of their interviews. My advice would be:
If you only have half an hour or so,don't try to cram things in
As the school for as much if you can so you can work round abilities, t.a`s and other things
Be yourself- you are good so show that.

Having said that, I've never had an

makeitabetterplace Sat 29-Nov-14 22:44:19

I watched countless lessons as part of interviews. Here are my top tips:

Introduce yourself to the children by name and say you're lucky to be teaching them today.
Check that any resources etc. are big enough to read, don't contain typos and are fun to look at
Don't wear a skirt that shows your pants when you sit down or a top that shows your boobs
Look smarter than you normally would and brush your hair (I can't believe how many teachers rock up for interview looking slutty/scruffy)
Tell children your behaviour expectations right from the start (I.e. When I hold my hand up, you stop talking - or whatever you do)
Get the children engaged - if the topic you have to do is boring, whip out some stickers and give for specific things.
Smile
Don't act like a cringey, children's tv presenter - just be natural and warm without being painfully over-enthusiastic
Write a lesson plan with the NEW curriculum objectives on it
Indicate in the plan where the lesson would progress to in future teaching

And good luck. But also don't be too downhearted if it doesn't work out this time; sometimes you're the wrong person for the role or they're the wrong school for you and that's nothing personal.

FabulousFudge Sat 29-Nov-14 23:13:22

Very good advice - I agree!

marcopront Sun 30-Nov-14 06:35:53

This is based on a conversation I was a witness to yesterday.

When they call to invite you to come and teach, and ask when you can come in give them a range of options don't say it has to be after 2 and actually I can't arrive until 2:10.

I am the HOD wanting to observe this person, I was tempted to say don't bother.

makeitabetterplace Sun 30-Nov-14 07:22:33

Oh, and don't do Kit Wright's 'The Magic Box.' I swear if I see another lesson based on that I'm going to walk out.

TheRainInTheWoods Sun 30-Nov-14 08:47:07

What excellent advice. Thank you all so much. It's for a job at a PRU so that adds an extra layer of planning. There are going to be levels 2-6 in the class I think so it's differentiation max! Obviously behaviour management will be at the fore too. As all the pupils will have ebd I think asking for the behaviour management policy beforehand is acceptable.

And no short skirts! I have legs the shape and colour of milk bottles anyway so they're not a regular part of my wardrobe.

Thanks again lovely staff room. flowers

Guilianna Sun 30-Nov-14 21:05:51

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now