Talk

Advanced search

Coursework based course

(10 Posts)
Rosieposy4 Sat 29-Nov-14 21:32:01

Mainly teach exam based subjects, but also teach a coursework one. Some discussion currently ensuing, what is best ( OFSTED outstanding ) practice when teaching a wholly coursework based element to students ( if relevant at KS5)
Eg is wholly student led ok, would you expect the teacher to be continually engaged with a student at all times, or are periods where they all are working independently acceptable etc
Thanks

sashh Tue 02-Dec-14 08:14:12

Depends on the subject and the students.

this morning I will be showing a powerpoint of cell structure, the students will then be forming in to a cell and plastic balls will be used to show osmosis, diffusion and active transport.

Students will then do some written work.

I teach a public health unit, I do teaching on eg different models but the students then go off and research the different models with guidance, eg for 'behaviour change' I 'strongly advise' them to look at HIV/AIDS information form the 1980s to present day.

For this unit they also form in to small groups and complete their own health promotion campaign, and this depends on where I am teaching, if it is a VI form then their campaign can be aimed at Yr9 students, if an FE college then a different group.

kscience Sat 13-Dec-14 08:48:48

When teaching an observed lesson for BTEC coursework modules lesson would look something like: starter questions to demonstarte current knowlegde/misconceptions. 10min teaching/review of work being covered by task being completed. 5mins bullet pointing key questions that need to be researched/answered to make sure that the task is answered in adequate detail. Pupils independent work. Exit ticket pupils self assess their work this session what parts of the task they think is completed to a satisfactory standard, what parts of the task they need to improve, what further research they need to complete the task....then use this as a starting point next lesson.

noblegiraffe Sat 13-Dec-14 14:25:36

Ofsted have said that they will no longer judge any particular style of teaching, merely whether the kids are actually learning from it.

You can't have a coursework subject where the kids don't work independently regularly!

cricketballs Sun 14-Dec-14 07:12:39

Noble - try telling that to some SLT! I've now refused to be observed by one member of our SLT as he just doesn't 'get' BTEC and is never complementary on anything when I have been observed by him (when I've been observed by others always received good feedback and have excellent results). For instance he once marked me down because one student was not working straight away on a distinction task and would not accept that she had to do the pass tasks

noblegiraffe Sun 14-Dec-14 12:27:27

How utterly depressing, cricket. I had a 'typicality' drop-in observation the other week where the kids were revising for their mocks. The entire twenty minutes the observer was in the room the kids were working through a sheet of revision questions while I went around supporting. I was asked whether I was 'scared' of whole class teaching hmm.

No, just a fan of the kids getting on with some work when needed.

EvilTwins Sun 14-Dec-14 13:59:10

Your SLT is wrong - but then, you know that!

I teach BTEC Performing Arts at L2 & L3. I had an outstanding for an ob where I had literally no input - they just got on with practical work in groups. It was the Head observing - she knew what she was looking for.

I have no idea how you get them to change their mind though.

cricketballs Sun 14-Dec-14 22:11:27

Other members of SLT do 'get' BTEC (I have to advise one of them as she has to teach it in another subject!) but this one AHT who is also line manager for the dept just sees BTEC as the easy option that isn't worth the shit on his shoes! I have formally put in to the head that I will not agree to be observed for a BTEC lesson by this AHT

EvilTwins Mon 15-Dec-14 17:23:16

Good for you. I hate that attitude. My L3 kids work bloody hard. And there is no difference, quite literally, between what I exoect from my L2 kids and my GCSE kids.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 15-Dec-14 18:03:19

I'm an AHT and used to teach a BTEC course. I think they used to lend themselves very well to demonstrating progress as often the students were demonstrably acting on my feedback to improve their work. And as an observer, I look for clear understanding of current position and next steps from the student. The activity and learning of the students is my focus, not the activity of the teacher, really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now