Talk

Advanced search

Teaching and pregnancy

(6 Posts)
MrsCK Fri 28-Nov-14 17:16:28

I really want to hear from teachers who have got through the whole having children thing and survived being treated differently by the head/slt.

Right or not for it to be happening I find myself in a situation where I am being treated very poorly and have done since I informed the school I am pregnant. I know other staff have had similar issues and found the return to work equally as tough.

so, how do you do it? How do you convince the head/slt that although your personal life is about to change you remain the good teacher they knew you to be before?

DustInTheWind Fri 28-Nov-14 17:24:49

The twice I did it, my head was a man. I showed him that things hadn't changed, and he took me at my word. Came back FT after 6 months and everything continued the same as before.
How are you been treated differently or poorly? How long have you been in this particular post?

MrsCK Fri 28-Nov-14 17:43:00

I've been in post for a long time. One of the most established teachers at the school. my observations are as good as always, and everything else is the same but still being treated differently. I know it will be worse when I come back.

treated differently in terms of opportunities being witheld, being left out of things I'd previously be involved in, and general attitude towards me is different.

Pinotgrigioplease Fri 28-Nov-14 17:48:26

I have never known this to happen and my school has had at least 25 people pregnant &/or on maternity leave in the last 5 years!

I came back 0.8 after 10months last time (pregnant again now) and have still been given as many opportunities as I was before.

Could you speak to your union if you feel you are being treated unfairly or is it just a feeling and not something that you think could be evidenced?

MrsCK Fri 28-Nov-14 17:59:58

There is plenty I will evidence but unfortunately due to how many other people this has happened to I also know that as soon as I start to stand up for myself I will be got rid of some way.

looking for ways of riding it out I guess!

Ridingthestorm Fri 28-Nov-14 21:43:56

Hi
My Union believe I am going through the same thing. I am pregnant (off with stress) but I am thinking that it seems I am being bullied due to pregnancy because of a set of circumstances that coincidentally happened at the same time.
How many weeks pregnant are you? I was early when I noticed things had changed (more than ten years experience, always graded good, sometimes with outstanding features) then suddenly told I am inadequate and requires improvement! Along with little things said or asked of me and school plans changed partly because of my announcement.
Note everything said or done and contact your Union for advice. Sometimes things can seem harsh and unfair but it takes someone impartial to tell you it isn't. Oddly, this is the other way round for me; GP, midwife and Union telling me I am either being singled out or bullied because of pregnancy. But I am not convinced I am being bullied or singled out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now