Talk

Advanced search

Moving from state to private- a big shock?

(21 Posts)
Olivo Mon 24-Nov-14 20:25:54

I am contemplating looking at a job in an academically selective private school. At the moment, I teach in state secondary. I have always taught in the state sector, for my nearly twenty years.

Would I find it too big a jump, do you think? Has anyone else found it a real shock?

SylviaPouncer Mon 24-Nov-14 23:59:26

The teaching itself is great. The shock is how much extra-curricular stuff they expect you to do and, at my school, Saturday morning lessons and Saturday afternoon sports.

Olivo Tue 25-Nov-14 00:25:23

Thanks. No Saturday lessons where I am looking, but lots of extra curricular, but not sure what I could offer.

SylviaPouncer Wed 26-Nov-14 00:35:27

You can offer a club in anything. What do you do in your free time? Offer that. Cookery? Card making? Organic gardening? Oboe playing? Knitting? Sewing? Power walking?

CheeseBored Wed 26-Nov-14 00:40:38

Great username SylviaPouncer - need to get that film out soon!

(Sorry, naught to contribute...confused)

islandmama Wed 26-Nov-14 00:49:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iseenodust Wed 26-Nov-14 13:36:23

Clubs offered that require generic skills incl. debating, quiz, duke of Edinburgh awards or there is probably one linked to your subject for a schools' competition such as French spelling bee or young engineer.

Olivo Wed 26-Nov-14 23:01:24

Thank you. You're right, there are things I can offer, I just hadn't thought about it!! Interesting to see your pros and cons. My own children go to private school so I guess I should recognise some, but I am happy to let mine get on with it!

Islandmama, do you really live on an island?

islandmama Thu 27-Nov-14 00:09:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Olivo Thu 27-Nov-14 16:33:13

I agree. I also made a pact with myself to always give the teacher the benefit of there doubt.....wink

I too am an island mama smile but no seals here either!

DontGotoRoehampton Thu 27-Nov-14 19:40:23

I am a supply teacher so teach in all sorts - gritty inner city secondaries, church primaries, grammars, indies. Must say the indies are liking taking a lovely warm bath...

Lottiedoubtie Thu 27-Nov-14 19:43:45

Don't forget the free lunches that's something I particularly enjoy about indies wink

Do play up the extra curricular if you apply for the job, good luck!

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Thu 27-Nov-14 19:46:48

The teaching part is great. Parents can be extremely pushy which can cancel out the good bits.

Olivo Thu 27-Nov-14 19:52:54

Ooooh yes, nice lunches, hadn't thought of that!

I will have a think about what I could offer as extra curricular.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate hearing your opinions.

DontGotoRoehampton Thu 27-Nov-14 19:58:20

chess? cookery? debating? gardening?

Olivo Thu 27-Nov-14 20:05:38

Will have a good look at what they offer already and go from there. Crap at domestic type things, but maybe additional drama or something....

ZebraDog Sat 29-Nov-14 15:56:59

Much longer holidays - I worked out 8 weeks more than state per year for the school I looked at (but slightly longer school day too), smaller classes, homework done/parents generally engaged, amazing facilities/environment (but depends on the school), less ofsted/intense data pressure (more parental pressure), no performance related pay (at some), free lunch, free use of pool/gym at some schools, school trips to incredible places abroad.

Winterfable Sat 29-Nov-14 15:59:51

My DC's are at private school and I'm not at all pushy if that helps grin!

Olivo Sun 30-Nov-14 10:02:35

Thanks. Zebra, this one has the same holidays as the state schools unfortunately, but I imagine lots of the other pluses you mention!

I like to hear of non pushy parents grin

Lottiedoubtie Sun 30-Nov-14 10:44:02

Same holidays as state? I've literally never come across that sad

The pushy parent thing- it is a problem with some but by no means all private parents. And once you adjust to it, it's really fine. I don't think it's worse than dealing with state parents either (who likewise are mostly fine with the odd pushy or abusive parent).

Kattinger Tue 09-Dec-14 06:13:03

Be a little careful.

It depends on the independent but many expect full time committment over and above what you are paid for. These are things many will not see from outside.

I work part time because I only teach A level. That was what I was employed for. I have a timetable which is over three days. It has a number of hours which are non teaching and not paid for (around 5) but the school do not recognise this. They see it as committment time which I am expected to give to the school for no pay. I currently teach an extra course in that time. Full time staff have it slightly easier in that they only have limited time that can be given for such things and of course they are paid. So, full time committment, part time pay. However, they, like me have to do out of school activities and that means longer days and many weekends. Holidays are not always your own either. Often there are summer things that you need to be there for.

The pay scale may well be different so you may take a pay cut ( they work things out differently very often). You may also be required to come in for events and any time the school wants all staff on site. For example, open days and fun days and anything else, even if its on your day off. If its an evening ,such as a school perormance, again you will be required to be there , showing committment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now