Talk

Advanced search

Anyone working in an academy who can shed light on maternity pay

(6 Posts)
justtheonethen Fri 21-Nov-14 23:23:01

Just that really, I'm planning to start a family soon and I know that academies don't have to stick to the burgundy book agreement. My contract doesn't say what our policy is and I don't really want to ask! My union rep doesn't know. Anyone able to share if they got just SMP or something in line with state schools.

noblegiraffe Sat 22-Nov-14 08:31:27

I got the burgundy book maternity rates but that's because it was TUPE'd across when we converted to an academy.

justtheonethen Sat 22-Nov-14 08:33:56

Thank you, I have joined one so no TUPE for me!

ReinholdMessner Mon 24-Nov-14 20:39:20

Most academies I'm aware of honour the burgundy book arrangements.

phlebasconsidered Tue 25-Nov-14 21:03:28

I would simply make sure your contract is watertight for your return, and be prepared for the answer to be "no" if you want to go back part-time. Part-time staff are non existent in every academy i've known.

funchum8am Tue 25-Nov-14 21:19:57

My school was a converter academy so kept old arrangements ie SMP plus 6 weeks on 50% pay after the first 6 weeks of SMP. However they did not honour any previous service at other maintained schools as continuous service for the purposes of calculating mat pay so for my first pregnancy I didn't get the enhanced pay (ie the 6 weeks at 50% pay) because I hadn't been there long enough before the "qualifying week" which is 15 weeks before your due date. It is complicated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now