Talk

Advanced search

Supply for three days... Who plans the lessons?

(13 Posts)
Notsuretoday Thu 20-Nov-14 14:47:26

The regular teacher or the cover teacher? (it's not due to illness)

Notsuretoday Thu 20-Nov-14 15:20:27

makeitabetterplace Thu 20-Nov-14 16:37:33

In our school, the plans would be left by the teacher and I can't see why anyone would ask the supply teacher to plan - how are they to know ow where to pick up and where to pitch it etc?

However, the school can dictate who does this as the supply teacher is not a cover supervisor, they are being paid as a teacher and planning and marking is part of being a teacher so if a supply teacher was getting uppity about doing it, school gets another supply teacher.

WowOoo Thu 20-Nov-14 16:41:39

I know a supply teacher who is finishing a two week cover. All plans were left for her.
I would have thought for 3 days you'd have plans.

bigTillyMint Thu 20-Nov-14 16:41:54

Well it should be the regular teacher. However, I can see that this could be a problem if the first day of absence was a Monday. Though with emails, etc plans could still be sent through if they were done.

I would have thought that a supply teacher would have to have some planning up their sleeve in case of an emergency, but not do the detailed plans from the long/medium term planning IYSWIM

DownByTheRiverside Thu 20-Nov-14 17:16:08

If I turn up as a supply teacher and there are no plans, I teach my own stuff for the three days; relevant and appropriate for the levels and the expectations for that year group, and I adapt and think on my feet as circumstances dictate.
I mark it and leave a detailed note.

Notsuretoday Thu 20-Nov-14 18:28:05

Thank you, I just wasn't sure what was usually expected!

Notsuretoday Thu 20-Nov-14 21:45:37

So if you were the absent teacher and the teacher covering was a colleague, would you resent having to do the planning?

MissMillament Thu 20-Nov-14 22:06:41

I am a secondary teacher but if a colleague was covering for me for three days I would expect to leave them fully planned lessons to teach - I certainly would not expect them to plan. For a start, they don't know my classes, where we have got to and where I want go with them next. I have done short term supply in the past and for bookings of a few days I was always expected to teach from the class teacher's plans. Unreasonable to expect otherwise imo.
Which are you, OP, the regular or the cover? grin I sense there is an issue of some kind here.

FabulousFudge Thu 20-Nov-14 22:08:22

The regular teacher. The supply teacher delivers and marks.

Notsuretoday Thu 20-Nov-14 22:09:36

I'm the cover... I was asked whether I needed fully planned lessons or could manage with just rough guidelines (ie revise this - then teach that) - not sure if to feel guilty that I asked for fully planned lessons instead

Fiddlerontheroof Thu 20-Nov-14 22:11:36

I'm supply, I would expect planned lessons from the teacher...I would mark it myself though, and leave notes for the teacher if necessary x

2kidsintow Thu 20-Nov-14 22:16:33

I've just had 3 days off on a course and the teacher covering the class was my job share teacher.
I left details of the learning objectives for the maths, but as she teaches that at the end of the week, I left the planning up to her.

For the subjects she doesn't normally teach I left the plans (and a lot of the resources) for that. I didn't have to leave blow by blow instructions for timings and duties etc, but didn't leave her to plan it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now