Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd - v awkward...?

(8 Posts)
susannahmoodie Wed 19-Nov-14 20:53:01

Ok, I have a new hod. For some time now there have been some concerns about her subject knowledge and the fact that, by her own admission she is not very 'academic'....shock

A number of pupils from her a level classes have come to me saying that they are not learning in her lessons and they want to switch into my class. I haven't done anything about this yet but I have recently found out that same thing happened last year (I was on mat leave) and seems to be a general trend. My colleagues last year did not take it further as she was appointed over them and they were worried it would look like sour grapes.

What do i do? I could speak to her but it is going to be v uncomfortable. I could speak to the second in dept who is on charge of a level? Or I could go higher up to head of sixth form or deputy head?? Or do I keep schtum? Just worried I'm going to make an enemy which is not what I need.....

WiggleGinger Wed 19-Nov-14 20:54:24

Perhaps encourage students to mention it to the head if 6th form ?

noblegiraffe Wed 19-Nov-14 21:12:13

You don't do anything. You tell the students that if they have a problem with the teaching they are receiving then the correct route is to the head of sixth form, possibly via their parents. It is not something you should be dealing with, nor listening to.

makeitabetterplace Thu 20-Nov-14 09:52:07

When a student lets me know they're not happy with one of their other teachers I always say that they should write it down and give it to the head. I won't entertain listening to them at length as it's akin to agreeing with them (even if I agree with them.)

Yangsun Thu 20-Nov-14 16:36:48

As others have said you should not involve yourself with this. They should talk to their head of year, other than signposting them to the head of year you should decline to discuss it with them.

Mrsgrumble Thu 20-Nov-14 16:38:55

His is very awkward, totally agree with telling the pupils the correct procedure (go to their year head etc) and staying out of it yourself.

susannahmoodie Thu 20-Nov-14 19:23:21

Ok thank you. That was my initial reaction but then as more kids are complaining I wondered if I Should pass it on- like it seems like more than an individual grudge.

But I'll stick with my gut reaction and tell them to tell head of 6th fm.

JennyBlueWren Fri 21-Nov-14 21:55:39

If you have a good relationship with the head of 6th Form then you could have a quiet word with them to say that some students have been raising concerns with you and that you've asked them to speak directly to the Ho6th -just to give him/her the heads up rather than to do the complaining yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now