Talk

Advanced search

Private health insurance - new contract school

(6 Posts)
musicmusic Sun 09-Nov-14 21:07:33

changing jobs and the new job does not have teacher pension scheme BUT does have a private health insurance... how would you value Private health insurance v teacher pension scheme? the school no2 offers pension contribution but with different Pension Provider. thank you

HamAndPlaques Sun 09-Nov-14 22:02:26

Sorry, I'm confused - are you choosing between two jobs?

The teachers' pension scheme is likely to leave you better-off in the long term, even with the forthcoming changes. It depends on the level of cover and how much you would value private healthcare, of course, and crucially, how old you are. I would rather have a teacher's pension and arrange my own private cover at a level appropriate to me than lose out on the pension and be stuck with a standard healthcare package.

musicmusic Sun 09-Nov-14 22:39:48

yes chosing between 2 jobs.can i pay myslef into teacher pension scheme?

HamAndPlaques Sun 09-Nov-14 22:53:07

Are you in the UK? Neither school is part of the TPS? That's really unusual, as even independent schools are eligible.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't pay into TPS as an individual as your contributions have to be matched by your school but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 09-Nov-14 22:56:13

If you are in the UK the school will have to take part in auto enrolment soon anyway (nowhere near as good as TPS though)

Dh is in the independent sector & has had a meeting about auto enrolment.

Happy36 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:18:45

A pension is preferable to private healthcare in my opinion. However, you can start a personal pension and pay into it yourself or perhaps even continue paying into your existing pension scheme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now