Talk

Advanced search

I think I've had enough...

(9 Posts)
PenguinBear Wed 05-Nov-14 20:05:08

I've been in my current school for a number of years and have a tough class this year (one child in particular).
I don't know how much longer I can keep going with this class tbh...this one child is wearing me down massively.

I'd hate to leave the rest of the class but not sure how longer I can do it with this very difficult child. Have tried to get some help for them and just be told to 'be form' hmm --I am!!-

PenguinBear Wed 05-Nov-14 20:05:44

Be firm*!
I am hmm

calzone Wed 05-Nov-14 20:08:12

You need to tell the HT that unless you get another TA to support this child, you will resign.

Schools cannot afford to lose good teachers and you could walk into another job tomorrow.

pippinleaf Wed 05-Nov-14 21:51:30

Rather than demanding a TA you need someone on SLT to understand the problem. If you say you can't cope without a TA then you look like the problem. Ask if you can watch them teach your class for some behaviour management tips or ask the senco to observe that child in your class for a morning. When they understand how difficult it is then they're far more likely to step in and help.

calzone Wed 05-Nov-14 22:15:33

I disagree.

So many HT refuse to acknowledge bad behaviour in classes and do not want to pay out for support.

The OP is clearly an experienced teacher, at the end of her tether.

They need you more than you need them......let them know that.

rollonthesummer Wed 05-Nov-14 22:22:06

I dint think some heads really think like that though. My old head would have happily let someone experienced expensive resign over something like that, to get someone cheap in.

calzone Wed 05-Nov-14 22:34:01

Our school is in dire straits atm and cannot afford to lose any teachers!

One class is dreadful.....NQT in who is a Good teacher.....HT has to be seen to be supporting as parents are kicking off left, right and centre!

mineofuselessinformation Wed 05-Nov-14 22:41:45

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's so dis-heartening isn't it?
My only advice is to keep following through with the behaviour procedures in your school, and if they are sadly lacking, ask around and find someone you can sit the child in with so you know you have that option. Document everything.

junkfoodaddict Thu 06-Nov-14 15:02:56

If your HT is anything like mine, she/he wouldn't care less! I am on sick leave due to stress caused by workload and my GP unwilling to let me go back unless working conditions change. Go sick. That way your SLT will hopefully miss the hArd working teCher you are. Unfortunately I also believe SLT love for experienced teachers (with families who quite rightly come first) to quit so they can employ young, cheap teachers who have no spouses/children who would come before their job. Sadly my HT is a power hungry bitch with children of her own (but a friend who tUght her kids said her kids are outrageously rude and expect their own way due to lack of parental attention and the HT is the worst in the school for reading letters, getting her kids ready for activity days etc, etc) sorry, just having a bitchy moan. Seriously if you are struggling and you are not getting support from school, go sick and get support from your GP. Sometimes you need to look after yourself first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now