Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How quickly can maternity cover be found for KS2 Teacher?

(12 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Tue 04-Nov-14 20:09:22

My DC's teacher (yr3) is leaving to have a baby at the end of this term but the advert for her maternity cover has only just been posted.

Is it realistic to expect maternity cover to be in place in time, with sufficient time for a handover period? Can we expect a good teacher with such short notice?

TIA

DuckandCat Tue 04-Nov-14 20:10:44

Yes. 6 weeks is ages.

Fiddlerontheroof Tue 04-Nov-14 20:11:23

That's a completely normal timescale.

And yes, you can expect a good teacher...

PrincessOfThemyscira Tue 04-Nov-14 20:13:25

6 weeks is a long time in school life.

DuckandCat Tue 04-Nov-14 20:14:02

They may already have a teacher in mind and are just advertising because they have to.

WalkingThePlank Tue 04-Nov-14 20:15:51

Oh, I didn't realise these things moved so quickly. I assumed that lots of notice had to be given to the successful candidates previous employer.

Thanks for putting our minds at rest!

DuckandCat Tue 04-Nov-14 20:19:31

The post will most likely go to a supply teacher, so no notice needed.

PrincessOfThemyscira Tue 04-Nov-14 20:27:05

No one who is in post now could start in January. They would have had to have given notice before half term.

Mostlyjustaluker Wed 05-Nov-14 18:08:12

Very few teachers would leave a permant contract to take up a temporary contract.

AsBrightAsAJewel Wed 05-Nov-14 20:14:11

Only a couple of times have we had teachers already in a post elsewhere apply for a maternity leave job. One was someone who had a strong suspicion the maternity leave teacher would not be returning so felt the post would become permanent; another was someone who didn't really need to work, but really wanted to work at our school so was prepared to gamble we would like her so much during the temporary contract we would keep her in mind for any future vacancies. All other candidates have been teachers who are not currently employed elsewhere - usually supply teachers.
So, OP, there may be a preferred candidate already lined up, or there may be plenty of strong teachers who are interested. Don't worry yet.
With regard to hand-over period there is unlikely to be more than a day or so where both staff are in school (if that); there will be meetings to liaise and the new teacher may spend a day or so in school. But schools just can't afford longer handover periods as they have to pay two fulltime staff wages.

AsBrightAsAJewel Wed 05-Nov-14 20:16:34

Whoops - repetition there.

MiaowTheCat Sun 09-Nov-14 18:50:22

I've got maternity cover jobs on a similar short notice - was already known to the school as their regular supply so got heavily asked to apply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now