Talk

Advanced search

If you were working 4 days, which is the best day to have off?

(31 Posts)
dottytablecloth Tue 04-Nov-14 07:48:28

My HT is totally flexible and has said it's up to me.

My first instinct was Friday but our school finishes early on Friday so I'm not sure it's the best.

It doesn't impact on me regarding Childcare.

Do the bank holidays make Mondays off a waste?

JustSpeakSense Tue 04-Nov-14 07:54:32

I would say either Wednesday (then you have 2 days work / one day break / 2 days work / weekend!) or Monday (you get a day off to pick up the pieces after the weekend and prepare yourself for the week ahead) xx

chocolatejunkie1 Tue 04-Nov-14 08:01:46

I work 4 days and have a Wednesday off. Work 2 days, day off , work 2 days but that's what works for me. smile

SingingTunelessly Tue 04-Nov-14 08:05:46

Agree with Wednesday being a good day to take off. I did take Mondays off for a while and actually losing a Bank Holiday day wasn't great. Never had that 'YAY Bank holiday' feeling that the rest of the office did. grin

BellaBearisWideAwake Tue 04-Nov-14 08:07:32

When are meetings usually?
I currently miss Thursday but it means coming in for quite a few of the parents evenings on my day off. (I don't get a choice though)
I preferred Wednesday whcih I have also had as a day off.

TheGrinchWearsStripes Tue 04-Nov-14 08:24:18

Yes, Wednesday here too. It means DS only has two days in a row at the childminder before being stuck with me again!

BranchingOut Tue 04-Nov-14 08:30:24

I would say Weds, especially in primary.

YokoUhOh Tue 04-Nov-14 08:32:22

I work 4 days and I love having Tuesdays off <kicks back I front of Peppa> (also a teacher)

MsBug Tue 04-Nov-14 08:35:11

Also worth checking out what playgroups run locally to see if there is anything on your day off

ICantFindAFreeNickName Tue 04-Nov-14 14:08:40

I think it depends on you, your lifestyle and what you plan to do on your day off. When I had Fridays off it was great if we had people coming to stay for the weekend as I could tidy, shop, cook etc on a Friday. Actually it was good every weekend, as all the boring household tasks were done and our weekend relaxing started once dp got home from work. Now I like having Mondays off, as when we have a weekend away - I know I just have to get DD out the door on Monday morning, then I can unpack, wash, get organized for the coming week etc. We do have a lot of visitors and go away a lot at weekends, so it is a big factor for me.
Personally I never liked splitting my working week, it felt too bitty.
Do you have many friends that work part-time, it's nice to be able to meet up if your day off is the same.
I don't think Bank Holidays make much difference in a school, as apart from May Day, the bank holidays normally fall in school holidays.

DontGotoRoehampton Tue 04-Nov-14 15:37:59

Any day but Friday, which is when the fun stuff happens!
No coincidence that in our school, my HoD who is savvy and part time chose to do Weds, Thurs Fir, leaving Mon, Tues, Weds for the other half of the job share...

42notTrendy Tue 04-Nov-14 16:31:24

I love not working Monday. I can sort out after the weekend and then it's a clear run at the rest of the week!

DontGotoRoehampton Tue 04-Nov-14 17:40:11

I have had various patterns - currently do Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri, because after Mon have a breathing space, then after Weds is halfway thru the week, and Fri is somehow always a good day...
And Tuesdays are quiet at the garden centre, supermarket....

Cernabbas Tue 04-Nov-14 17:53:59

I work four days and have Wednesdays off. It is lovely having a breather mid-week and knowing I only work for two days in a row.
I was three days previously and didn't do Mondays. That was lovely as I didn't get the "Monday blues" and effectively had a three day weekend, but you lose out on Bank Holidays etc.

mumnosbest Tue 04-Nov-14 20:15:35

Monday is great for me as it means I can get the kids ready for school on Monday without having to get myself off to work too. Also means I can can really enjoy Sunday without Monday looming over me. I have swapped with a colleague and had a few Wednesdays off too. It's lovely to have a mid week break/catchup but almost felt like I started the week twice.

Worth checking which day inset days fall on as they can be useful and you don't want to have to go in on your day off. Also remember bank holidays are Mondays. I never benefit from them sad

ChillySundays Tue 04-Nov-14 21:22:34

Wednesday here. Never work more than two days at a time. When things get stressful I know it's not long until day off/weekend

ChillySundays Tue 04-Nov-14 21:23:42

Meant to say that I am not a teacher but my reason can apply anywhere

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 21:24:36

MONDAY

no Sunday night feeling.

all the perks of WOO HOO its Friday.
You often miss dull meetings

and its just ACE ( and i have had a real choice of days off)

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 21:25:22

christ Dontgo - shop online!

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 21:25:52

you can have wine on Sundays

Wednesdays - a day in the middle of the week to switch off and re-boot, like a mini weekend.

Bartlebee Tue 04-Nov-14 21:28:15

I was pt until recently.

Although I didn't work Mondays, I got compensatory leave for every bank holiday that fell on my off days. I think this is the law, or something.

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 21:29:32

ah there was a whole thread about that recently. I must ask my School business manager.
no to Wednesdays. been there done that. MONDAYS

Littlefish Tue 04-Nov-14 21:35:15

I have Wednesdays off and absolutely love it. I've tried various patterns of part time - Mon, Tues, Wed in one job, Wed, Thurs, Fri in another etc.

I wasn't overjoyed when I was first asked to have Wednesdays off, but actually, it works brilliantly.

I work for 2 days, catch up with everything mid-week (hair dressers, leg waxing, GP/dentist, lunch with friends, washing, tidying etc.) Then back to school for another 2 days (half a day of which is PPA)!

DontGotoRoehampton Wed 05-Nov-14 17:06:19

Interesting that no-one has said Fridays, although many years ago when I went back to work after mat leave (fulltime envy) those in my NCT group who did four days tended to all choose Friday (no teachers tho')

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now