Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone train to be a teacher later on in life?

(15 Posts)
Applejack2 Sun 02-Nov-14 07:53:13

Hi,

I have arranged 2 weeks voluntary work in 2 local primary schools (starting tomorrow). I have already spent days, here and there, in schools over the last 3 years. And, I have been a STEM ambassador for 10 years so I have spent plenty of time in secondary schools too.

I work part time in the NHS (band 6 so about the same as the teacher MPS). My job has, recently, moved to another hospital and I have been planning a career change for a long time (due to distance and number of times I have to drive during the night for on-call). Anyway, it is always teaching/education I am attracted to. I know it isn't an easy job. My children are getting older now so I feel that the time is right though.

I am 42. I can pass for 10 years younger though (so I am told)! Too old? I come from a strong science background and I love helping with science and maths in schools. Has anyone else entered the teaching profession later on? I feel a little 'out of my comfort zone' but I hope that the PGCE would increase confidence and prepare me.

I am also considering teaching assistant courses but I don't want to end up not using my education (up to MSc).

I think that you have an amazing job. So rewarding!

I am looking into the finance side of things and how I will fund this for a year. I am saving part of my salary at present and I am planning on leaving the NHS early July. Hopefully, the bursary and maintenance grant will be enough and I have to remind myself that it is only for a year. I don't mind starting at the bottom of the MPS as I earn that working part time in the NHS. I have asked the NHS pensions team about transferring my pension and that seems straightforward enough as I would be going from one public sector job to another. My husband works full time.

DontGotoRoehampton Sun 02-Nov-14 15:45:49

I retrained, aged 51, so 42 is young! thlgrin

roaringwater Sun 02-Nov-14 21:07:56

I retrained at 37. Personally, I'd have been a terrible teacher at 21.

Applejack2 Mon 03-Nov-14 19:39:49

How did you find it? The training and change from your previous career?

Philoslothy Mon 03-Nov-14 19:42:02

I retrained in my thirties from a career in retail/ fashion. I found the transition relatively straightforward. I was just grateful that I had more time with the children rather than travelling all the time.

Theas18 Mon 03-Nov-14 19:45:59

Dh retrained mid 30s. He would have been ok younger but made a hell of a better teacher for having some life experience. Dealing with difficult parents etc was just second nature to him after a career in engineering.

DontGotoRoehampton Mon 03-Nov-14 20:03:10

Toady read and article in the Times by Vicky Tuck, saying that better to have mature teachers who have a had a previous career.

Luciferbox Mon 03-Nov-14 20:05:30

I work with PGCE students. My last two students have both been over 45.

sashh Tue 04-Nov-14 11:52:31

I trained in me 40s, but I trained as an FE teacher. My background is NHS and I now teach mainly BTEC health and social care, so I work with a lot of teenagers who are heading for the NHS as nurses, physios etc.

I trained p/t over 2 years and worked while I trained. PM me any questions.

Applejack2 Tue 04-Nov-14 16:45:37

Sashh,
It is funny you mention the FE training as I have been offered a place on the post-16 PGCE (with paid teaching hours) at the local college. This would enable me to work within 'my area'. They have asked me to do Applied Science, Immunopathology and Biology. I am worried about doing this though as it didn't seem like they had long term contracts/enough hours.
I do still want to check out schools though. I am drawn to KS2 children and believe my skills would be better with this age group. I am spending the week in a local primary this week. I have, so far, been in reception and year 2. Spent odd days in KS2 at other schools. Going to be in year 4 tomorrow.

ConstantAcceleration Wed 05-Nov-14 19:38:04

I retrained in my late 30s and trained with someone who was over 50. Not too late!

Lizzylou Fri 07-Nov-14 22:49:30

I started training via scitt this September, am 41. Hard work but fabulous, do it!

fedupbutfine Fri 07-Nov-14 23:11:17

Yes, trained as a single parent at age 42. Should have done it earlier! It is hard work but I think older people struggle less with the amount of work that needs to be done than the younger set who come out of university having just about managed to attend 10 lectures a week! I have always coped - just - and meet deadlines and manage my household. And I enjoy it!

Applejack2 Sat 08-Nov-14 07:06:10

Good to hear!
Are you primary or secondary?

Eastpoint Sat 08-Nov-14 07:14:25

My DCs had a teacher who had been a biologist. She retrained around your age & worked in a primary school. She was head of Maths & science in the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now