Talk

Advanced search

Yuck, what do we think of the new assessment proposals then?

(9 Posts)
rollonthesummer Fri 31-Oct-14 21:05:26

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/performance-descriptors-key-stages-1-and-2

...and they thought parents found the OLD system confusing!?

PicInAttic Fri 31-Oct-14 22:33:15

Erm - interesting ...?!

Not sure that I like the several varieties for Writing vs just the one for Reading, Maths, Science for KS2. Doesn't that make it more complicated for schools and parents?

Also, is it just me who worries that the wording of the categories will make teacher assessment of writing, the necessary moderation and the justification of 'levels' more difficult?

Not immediately impressed if I'm being honest - maybe all will be clearest after a closer read - hmm

PicInAttic Fri 31-Oct-14 22:34:16

clearer not clearest confused

Dixiechick1991 Fri 31-Oct-14 23:09:33

I quite like them - I find the wording of "working towards national level" much more understandable than "he's a 3c but needs to be a 3a" - saying working towards implies that they are behind but they are making progress.

I think my opinion is going to be an uncommon one.

rollonthesummer Sat 01-Nov-14 09:32:32

It looks rather baffling. I wonder if we'll get some proper training before it's implemented!?

CalamitouslyWrong Sat 01-Nov-14 09:37:19

Why are there 4 options for maths at KS1 but only 1 (working at national standard) for KS2?

CharlesRyder Sat 01-Nov-14 09:54:15

I hate the choice of the word 'mastery'.

I also think 5 potential outcomes for writing as opposed to one for maths and reading is rubbish.

What about children who don't perform well in tests- I teach kids with EBD and ASD who often will not finish a test paper for a variety of reasons. How will we enter accurate teacher assessment for them in Reading and Maths??

rollonthesummer Sat 01-Nov-14 09:58:05

I think mastery is a bad choice as well.

CalamitouslyWrong Sat 01-Nov-14 10:03:16

Mastery is an abysmal choice, as it certainly doesn't describe what working above the nationally expected level is. The only purpose it could possibly serve is as a boasting tool for those kind of parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now