I recently found out that I'm about 5 weeks pregnant, due in Nov. However, I'm currently covering someone else's maternity leave who is due to only come back in Jan so I'm a tad anxious about telling the school. Has anyone found themselves in this situation? I feel I owe it to the school to tell them soon but don't want to say anything too soon. I'm also intending to leave in July rather than later in the year as I don't want to continue in the last few months for various reasons to do with the job.
Thanks both of you. I know this must happen world over, but I am still feeling a tad guilty. It is very much planned for us, but thinking about work's reaction now I've decided to finish in July made me aware I needed to say something soon.
After 12 weeks would make sense. Similarly, as would resigning for July but I feel I need to tell them about the pregnancy as I'll need time off for scans. I'm currently on an agency contract until end April when I go onto a temp contract with the school so I'm debating whether to tell them before I sign that as I'd feel more comfortable signing with them knowing. I'll be 12 weeks at the beginning of May so it coincides.
Why should she tell them before she signs in April? You need to let them know but I would check out how you stand legally if your agency contract runs out and then the school don't offer you a contract.,. '
I'm currently on a daily rate which includes my holiday pay. I don't know if the same will continue when I go onto the contract with the school and how that'll impact on summer holiday pay. I need to find that out before I tell them anything. I will say something before I sign the school contract as that'll be my 12th week so I'm happy to say something then and will be comfortable saying up front.
Part of the reason I'm leaving in July because the school is miles away, meaning I'm currently driving for over two hours a day which I would rather avoid from Sept when I'd need to go back. If the school decide not to renew my contract based on what I tell them, I would be challenging it given it's illegal but also am not too concerned about doing more day to day supply until closer to Nov as there is enough locally to tide me over.
Thanks, you've helped me clarify some of my thoughts on this.