Talk

Advanced search

Are you a scary teacher?

(11 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Fri 28-Feb-14 06:37:08

I have felt in every teaching job, that management feel that if the students are naughty because the bottom line is im not scary enough. I plan well, create good resourses, seating plan, rewards, sanctions but ultimately I am mot a seargeant majorish type nor do I want to be.
I am firm, I dont take messing but I am not like some people who exude a kind if terrifying aura. I have even been scared of other teachers in the past!
Fed up with feeling tense and uptight and just want to feel 'normal.' Its hard to have resoect if you are alwaus a new, temporary teacher too.
I also feel like it is frowned upon if too many detentions are given.

notnowImreading Fri 28-Feb-14 07:09:30

I'm not. I'm a HoD, which gives me status and I can set major sanctions, which gives me a fall-back position, but I constantly worry that my own tellings-off are ineffective because I'm not scary enough.

One thing I've copied from a couple of scarier teachers is the stabilising routine at the beginning of a telling off (take your hands out of your pockets/stand up straight/yes what? Yes Miss etc) coupled with 'How old are you? Do you consider yourself to be a child, a boy or a young man? Your answer will affect how we deal with this situation' and 'First, is there anything I need to know about what's going on with you that might have influenced how things have gone down today?' (That's when they tell you that their mum might have cancer or their grandad died etc.) Then if they tell you there's nothing wrong, they're shit out of luck when it comes to leeway.

Those things help of you've got to the point of sending a pupil out and want to have the corridor-chat but they take too long for in-classroom interventions. I'd be really interested if anyone has great, immediate sort-it-out tricks or tips for being a bit scarier when really necessary.

I feel for you, OP. It's hard to establish yourself in a new place, particularly.

notnowImreading Fri 28-Feb-14 07:11:14

PS, I don't think that terrifying the children is the way to go really - I'm sure the pupils will be own over by your teaching and the relationships you establish with them. It's just nice to know the teeth are there in case of need.

Weegiemum Fri 28-Feb-14 07:13:33

I reckon "the look" is what you need. It can't be taught, but my dc quiver at my Scary-teacher glare, and I've been teaching adults for 8 years and will never go back into a secondary classroom as long as I live

PurpleAlert Fri 28-Feb-14 07:19:24

Teachers who scared me when I was a child were ones who were unpredictable and unfair.

Teachers who create fear also create stressed pupils.

Stressed pupils are less able to learn.

A strict teacher does not have to be scary.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 28-Feb-14 16:12:35

Well I'm thinking of leaving the profession as I was bullied on my placements ( by adults and staff), bullied on my nqt year ( malicious cyber bulling) and bullied now. Not only am I not scary but I appear to have target written on my head! I am fed up with it and don't want to be around teens.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 28-Feb-14 16:13:31

The children won't always let me establish relationships with them.

Honestly, I once met someone who told me that as a teacher you have to be terrifying at least until the end of the first term, only then can you let your guard down.

TBH, I found it very sad that she was so terrified of five year olds that she found this to be the case.

From my own experience at school a teacher does not have to be scary to command order and respect in the classroom.

IslaValargeone Fri 28-Feb-14 16:16:53

What purpleAlert said with bells on.

longtallsally2 Fri 28-Feb-14 16:22:43

I am not scary and I hang onto the fact that no child in my class will ever feel that they can't enjoy my subject because they are scared.

I do, however, avoid changing jobs often. Good relationships can be established over time with clear and consistent boundaries, if you are not scary, but it is hard work.

Muuuuch less stressful for you if you can crush them at 100 meters by raising one eyebrow (I am terrified of one of my son's teachers and that's all she does!) or delivering a choice phrase which strikes home rather than one which bounces off

teacher123 Fri 28-Feb-14 21:58:09

Respect is the key, and relationships. I agree with the PP though about not moving jobs too often, once you know the name of every single child, then telling them off is much easier! I am quite scary when I need to be, but tend not unleash it too often...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now