Advanced search

Becoming a dyslexia assessor

(11 Posts)
manyhands Fri 21-Feb-14 07:29:29

Is anyone on here a dyslexia assessor? I'm thinking of training to become one and wanted to know what the role is like? Do you work freelance? Is there enough work? Is the pay comparable to teaching? I am a teacher, work being in the classroom but worn down by the workload and Ofsted. Thanks.

fourcorneredcircle Fri 21-Feb-14 12:29:30

Now, it's been a while, I admit, but when I was assessed as dyslexic and had my statement done in 1999 it could only be done by an ed. psyche. When it was up for renewal in 2003 it was also an ed. psyche - as were my subsequent dealings with university support - Has this changed?

LuvMyBoyz Fri 21-Feb-14 16:04:40

I also though only an EP can diagnose dyslexia. But assessing to teach propel with dyslexia is another matter. Is this what OP means?

WestmorlandSausage Fri 21-Feb-14 16:22:47

manyhands Fri 21-Feb-14 20:42:06

Thankyou everyone very useful

Bramblesinforrin Fri 21-Feb-14 21:06:50

I work as a specialist dyslexia assessor in addition to my teaching and lecturing roles. I'm not an EP, so only assess for dyslexia.

You need to look for courses which end up with the AMBDA qualification. The open university runs one, as do many other universities. The Patoss link is very helpful.

WestmorlandSausage Fri 21-Feb-14 21:35:40

TBH I don't know anyone who has it as their only job (although I'm sure some do) most people who have the qualification and registration do it on top of/ in conjunction with another role.

Bramblesinforrin Fri 21-Feb-14 21:37:48

A lot of us have it as a complementary role, but I do know a few who have it as their only job. They generally have contracts with large institutions, however.

fourcorneredcircle Fri 21-Feb-14 23:05:39

Everyday is a school day! Interesting to know, thanks.

Bramblesinforrin Sat 22-Feb-14 01:23:41

Four cornered- I think eps still asses for the statement process. In my county anyway - even with a specialist teacher assessment in place smile

Lovemyfriends Mon 24-Feb-14 20:09:48

I am doing this course at the moment, and planning to only assess and teach dyslexic children. Specialist assessors can do reports for statementing, not just EPs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: