Talk

Advanced search

link governors

(8 Posts)
sittingbythepoolwithenzo Sat 15-Feb-14 16:25:32

Just a quick question, if I may.smile
Do your link governors (at primary) link to a subject, or to a class? Had a suggestion that each class having their own governor might be a good idea.

BetsyBoop Sat 15-Feb-14 21:06:25

At the school I'm a governor at we have link governors for each subject and also for each year group (2 form entry) - they stay with that year group (so if they have YR this year they have Y1 next year, etc.) Works very well.

Tillyscoutsmum Sat 15-Feb-14 22:38:11

I'm a school governor and we are each link governors for a particular class and a subject. It's great being a governor to a class. We get to go in regularly to spend time with the class( if we want), go on any trips/to class assemblies etc smile

midnightmoomoo Sun 16-Feb-14 19:13:28

At my school we are linked to subjects only, but I love the idea of being linked to a class/year group!!!

sittingbythepoolwithenzo Sun 16-Feb-14 19:46:24

Thank you _ I think it sounds a great idea. I'm going to suggest it at our next meeting.

midnightmoomoo Mon 17-Feb-14 15:27:49

I should have added that as subject link governors we are expected to observe the subject being taught across the school three times a year and we fill in a form which is submitted to the Chair of Govs and shared at meetings. Used to be OK as we were infants only, but we're now a primary so they may rethink this slightly.

The reason this was introduced was in response to an Ofsted suggestion a few years ago, to facilitate govs knowledge of subjects/levels/issues for teachers etc.

neolara Mon 17-Feb-14 20:48:49

We have governors linked to key strategies the school is implementing. We've just moved to this system and away from being linked to subjects. I think it focuses us more clearly on the school's strategic development.

DanFmDorking Mon 17-Feb-14 21:03:15

I’m going to be a bit pedantic here.
In education, the word 'observe' implies a judgement
Governors do not 'observe’ lessons, they may 'watch' or 'view' them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now