Talk

Advanced search

Tips for teaching Year 3

(5 Posts)
toastedmarshmallow Thu 13-Feb-14 23:12:16

Got a new job teaching Year 3 after half term. Never taught this Year group before and most of my experience has been upper KS2. Anyone got any advice or tips?

pennygallops Sun 16-Feb-14 00:30:11

This is my third year in Y3, after many in UKS2. I love Y3 - lots of suspended belief and innocence. However, many still require very simple instructions and allow more time to complete tasks, especially changing for PE. Some are still quite egocentric and others are becoming increasingly independent. The largest issue at present are the increased demands of the new curriculum. Good luck and enjoy.

pennygallops Sun 16-Feb-14 00:31:42

Oh yes, and wobbly teeth. There have been 5 teeth fall out in my class in the 2 weeks. Have little bags and tissues ready for the teeth to be taken home to the tooth fairy.

MothratheMighty Sun 16-Feb-14 01:16:35

Love year 3. Think shorter sessions and more active/kinaesthetic/games snippets to break up an activity.
Get to know parents ASAP, no idea how your dismissal works, but walk out with them into the playground if you can and have a bit of a chat for a few minutes.

toastedmarshmallow Tue 18-Feb-14 23:59:05

Thanks for the advice - had a look at the new curriculum quite scary what they expect to get covered in Year 3 and 4!
Hadn't considered the teeth issue thanks pennygallops will get some bags or boxes and will hopefully get to know the parents soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now