Talk

Advanced search

What to do when parts of your job are difficult because of a medical condition

(3 Posts)
2kidsintow Wed 12-Feb-14 12:54:27

I'm off sick at the moment, due to go back at the end of the week. It's my PPA only on Friday as I'm part time and I'm going back then to see how I get on.

I've just been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia and have never felt pain like it! If I have a full on attack (as opposed to the constant toothache pain I get the rest of the time) then I can't speak or even breathe properly for a minute or two.

That's not the bit that's bothering me as I'm on medication and waiting for it to kick in and prevent or at least lessen the length and severity of the attacks. Mostly they are worse in the evening and night so shouldn't interfere with teaching.

What's bothering me is, I took my daughter to school this morning in the cold and the wet and it was absolute torture. It really triggered the pain. I've bought a snood/scarf to wear to keep my neck and lower face warm, but really am not looking forward to break duties and pe lessons where I'm out in the cold when I go back.

poopooheadwillyfatface Wed 12-Feb-14 12:58:04

Can you ask your GP to do you a fit note for your return, so that you can be excused playground duty until it has settled down more fully?

Either that or - do you have to do a return to work interview after a period of sick leave - they usually ask if you need any adjustments when you return. Given that being outdoors in the cold is a well known trigger for this, it would be very reasonable to ask them to change the playground rota until you are better. I would try to get it documented as part of a H&S assessment for your return.

2kidsintow Wed 12-Feb-14 13:20:32

Not a bad idea. No official return to work interview usually, but I'm hoping to talk to the head about this when I go back on Friday. I then have a week until half term, when I have another GPs appt booked to see how it goes. I could give things a try if need be then discuss that with my GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now