Talk

Advanced search

Will you be striking?

(36 Posts)
rollonthesummer Sun 09-Feb-14 12:27:51

I've just seen the date of the 26th March has been confirmed.

CouthyMow Sun 09-Feb-14 12:31:50

Another strike?

Lottiedoubtie Sun 09-Feb-14 12:33:22

Yes couthy because the education minister has refused to take part in promised talks and has not made any concessions to the proffesion.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Sun 09-Feb-14 12:33:40

No, I won't.

OrangeMochaFrappucino Sun 09-Feb-14 12:38:58

It's my day off, just the same as every other strike that has happened! I am very afraid of the changes that are being threatened and those that have come into place. I no longer see a future in my career. So I fully support the strike, but can't actually take part.

Lizziegeorge Sun 09-Feb-14 16:17:55

Was really cross last time, half of us went on strike, so made our point and lost a day's pay. The school was closed and other teachers got to 'work' from home, so basically had a free day off. Strikers all very cross. System doesn't work.

petalpower Sun 09-Feb-14 17:53:16

Which union is it?

pussycatdoll Sun 09-Feb-14 17:54:41

Is it a Thursday ?

CuntyBunty Sun 09-Feb-14 17:56:19

I'm not a teacher, but fuck, if I have to listen to the same people who take their children off on holiday during term time, moaning about the strike, rather than support the teachers and think about the reason they are striking, i will eat my own arsehole. Or something.

noblegiraffe Sun 09-Feb-14 17:56:21

I think it's just NUT. Not sure if my school will close, it did last time only the NUT went on strike. NAS members had to come in and do admin.

OddBoots Sun 09-Feb-14 17:57:19

A Wednesday. NUT striking, NASUWT undecided yet.

I'm a parent not a teacher but I'm with the strikers in spirit, very glad of teachers dedicated enough to strike for the future of education.

Feenie Sun 09-Feb-14 17:58:15

It's Wednesday 26th March - NUT and NASUWT.

In October the unions in Wales called off strike action because their Education Secretary was a grown up and agreed to sit down to talks.

Gove said he would but has now backed out. Pillock.

CuntyBunty Sun 09-Feb-14 17:58:41

Hear, hear, OldBoots.

I thought NASUWT hadn't decided yet. They are supposed to be meeting to discuss on 14th Feb iirc.

Feenie Sun 09-Feb-14 18:00:07

Thought this was joint action? It was definitely joint action in October as well - it's a joint campaign.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 09-Feb-14 18:08:13

Is it countrywide?

Feenie Sun 09-Feb-14 18:13:31

Yes

pinkgirlythoughts Sun 09-Feb-14 18:37:59

Hadn't heard anything about it until my grandma told me she'd seen it in the paper that we were striking, and was I going to be on strike? blush
Is it just certain regions again?

pinkgirlythoughts Sun 09-Feb-14 18:38:16

ah, x-post

caroldecker Sun 09-Feb-14 19:20:20

delighted so many teachers appear to even know about it, let alone voted for it

Feenie Sun 09-Feb-14 19:33:20

The vote still stands from last year, and it was only announced very locally on Friday - members have yet to be contacted officially. All teachers certainly know about the campaign, which has been ongoing for over a year.

MrsHerculePoirot Sun 09-Feb-14 23:28:58

Yes I will be. I got an email from my union last week, I expect reps at school to start discussing soon.

AntiJamDidi Sun 09-Feb-14 23:33:45

I won't because I'm in the ATL so am not supposed to be striking. If I was in the NUT or NASUWT then I would be.

I'm not sure what our school will do. For the last strike the school was closed but then most teachers came in anyway, which was very annoying for everybody who went on strike as well as the head.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 09-Feb-14 23:38:29

I'm in the ATL. Last time the school closed to pupils, but anyone not striking had to be in (and smartly dressed!), and a register was taken...

ravenAK Mon 10-Feb-14 17:52:59

yup, I'll be striking.

ATL rep has promised to bring us a nice breakfast on the picket line, since they'll have to go in & be given development stuff to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now