Talk

Advanced search

Advice for returning after dc2 mat leave mid term?

(7 Posts)
AmIGoingMad Fri 07-Feb-14 07:19:00

Just that really.

I found it challenging returning after my first maternity leave. This time around I think its going to be even harder!

I teach secondary and live reasonably close to school.

Any advice on making the return easier and on achieving some sort of 'work life balance' ( hopes for magic wandhmm)

AmIGoingMad Fri 07-Feb-14 16:07:12

Anyone?

AmIGoingMad Mon 10-Feb-14 19:42:34

One last attempt to get some replies''

phlebasconsidered Mon 10-Feb-14 20:57:46

Well, i've just returned with 2 and i'm only a few weeks in and i'm overwhelmed! My two are 5 and 6. I get in at 7.30, they are dropped at BFC, I work till 5pm, pick them up from ASC, dinner, bed and then work. I worked most of the weekend as they were at the in-laws and parties, so I got a chance to catch up. I try to mark at school and peer mark, but the assessments will bite me in the bum this week, and i'll be in at least 2 days over half term.

archaeoptyrx Mon 10-Feb-14 20:58:56

Please don't worry. You'll soon be back in the swing of things. I've done this three times now and it's amazing how much more efficient you get at time management. Living close to school is good in terms of travel time and peace of mind. Is there any thing specific you are worried about?

louloutheshamed Mon 10-Feb-14 21:12:18

I've done it once and now on may leave for second time.

Things that helped were basic organisational stuff like having all outfits for me and ds lined up for the week.

Wrt marking I found doing it 'little and
Often' helped, eg I could mark 5 books in the morning before
School, 5 at lunch and 5 after school then that's half a class set
In a day not using any free
Periods.

I Would email myself to do lists all the time.

I became a lot more
Disciplined with my time eg no chatting in staff room just head down and get on with it. Also before dcs I could spend hours tweaking a PowerPoint to make it perfect but now I really focus on what's is important in terms of t and l and some things are 'good enough'. You will prioritise much better when time pressure on.

AmIGoingMad Tue 11-Feb-14 07:05:57

Thank you! I think its the whole thing of how I'm going to fit another job into my life! The marking is the main thing- thank goodness I'm not and English teacher. Prep is another concern but I'm about 10 years in so luckily have lots of resources already for adapting etc (and TES is amazing!)

I think its the time management mostly. I find that at the moment by the time the kids are asleep and I get all the house stuff done, its late and I'm shattered. And I know that showering at night is the only sensible option for me getting out on time in the mornings. Not sure how I'll manage to fit planning and marking in then like I used to.

My brain is still all over the place so I think I'm going to have to carry a notebook everywhere and write EVERYTHING down.

And I'm really going to miss my little ones. But it's a necessary evil I suppose.

Sorry for long post. I think I'm just overwhelmed by the whole thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now