Talk

Advanced search

Teacher to TA

(16 Posts)
toastedmarshmallow Fri 07-Feb-14 01:24:36

Has anyone done this?

What would you say the advantages and disadvantages were and is the money really, really awful?

Also would those who have become TAs ever consider returning to teaching?

I'm seriously considering this and would appreciate some honest feedback.

CharlesRyder Fri 07-Feb-14 07:03:28

I think as a qualified teacher you would end up getting used for intervention loads. You would probably be observed doing intervention. The data your intervention generated would be scrutinised and probably used in appraisal.

In short, you would be a teacher for £2.30p/h.

Maybe look for an actual intervention job and at least get paid better? I teach a Resource base and there is a lot to be said for it. Small class, more freedom to teach the way they need etc.

toastedmarshmallow Fri 07-Feb-14 14:20:57

I see your point but these intervention jobs are never advertised in my area and I think a lot of them are done by TAs.

I only want to work part time and there are never any PT jobs advertised either, maybe a TA role could be a possible way in- or do you think
I'd end up having to stay as a TA if I started as one in a school? I didn't think about data scrutiny applying to a TA either.

Lottiedoubtie Fri 07-Feb-14 14:23:56

If you show yourself prepared to work for a TA wage then I think promotion from it to a proper rate for intervention is unlikely.

The reduced stress appeals to me but the loss of professional respect, low wages and lack of decision making would really get me down.

rollonthesummer Sat 08-Feb-14 12:27:22

My last TA was an ex-teacher; she left teaching becomes of the insane paperwork. She was a brilliant TA but only stayed about a year because the school starting observing the TAs and collecting their data/info from I reeve ruin groups they did to use in their performance management. She just didn't want it-she wanted to work with children without the extra bollocks! She's now a very happy sahm and I am very jealous ;)

phlebasconsidered Sun 09-Feb-14 08:37:33

I went from teaching, to SAHM, then back to teaching via some time as a HLTA first. I really enjoyed it and found it very useful in terms of regaining confidence and getting up to speed again. I was used for interventions but also for some PPA cover for foundation lessons. I never took work home and had an actual real lunchtime! I did everything from interventions to sticking and painting wall displays. The money was pants though.

However, after my first few weeks back teaching FT it now seems like a happy dream.......

toastedmarshmallow Sun 09-Feb-14 13:28:32

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm really not sure what to do for the best. I need a decent work life balance- have just left a very stressful job in a difficult school. I have been offered some TA work and also have an interview for a teaching job (both PT). Maybe a better school and less behaviour problems will make teaching more manageable.

Got lots to think about.

Finickynotfussy Sun 09-Feb-14 14:52:56

My sister has done this - she got pregnant very soon after finishing NQT and after 7 years out of the workplace her confidence was low. Now she's in a pt joint HLTA/cover supervisor job and likes it - it's been a great boost to her confidence. However, ime they are exploiting her dreadfully. She does lots of teaching and sometimes has to plan for it, although they explicitly told her she wouldn't have to do that. She gets odd comments from the Head, who can't seem to decide what sort of animal she is (e.g. he criticises her for things she can't do anything about, given that she is not responsible for planning etc). She doesn't get training and can only attend staff meetings if she does so in her own time. For this she receives a pittance, no holiday pay (I suspect no pension either but have not dared ask) and depressingly, doesn't see a problem as she's so thrilled to be back at work.

I would only do it as a bridge to something better e.g. keeping your hand in while retraining as a SENCO or looking out for suitable pt work.

Finickynotfussy Sun 09-Feb-14 14:53:59

She says she can't return to teaching because the impact on her DC of planning & marking at weekends would be too great.

phlebasconsidered Sun 09-Feb-14 17:39:24

And based on my experience this last few weeks, having done exactly the same, she's right! The pay is welcome, but I have spent the majority of the evenings post kids bedtime and half of this weekend working, another quarter cleaning the house, and the last quarter glassily watching the tv with the kids because i'm too knackered to do anything else.

cece Sun 09-Feb-14 17:44:43

I work part time as a teacher. It is fab.

Honestly they do get advertised. I am on a permanent contract.

My friend does supply cover for teachers through an agency. She has a regular part time job that she does but finds if she does need a week off for family reasons then it is no problem as the agency just sends someone else. Perhaps that would suit you better.

CharlesRyder Sun 09-Feb-14 17:51:05

IMO teaching full time is not compatible with human life.

CharlesRyder Sun 09-Feb-14 17:52:50

I work 9am - 1pm on UP1 with a TLR grin

It can be found!!

toastedmarshmallow Thu 13-Feb-14 23:07:05

Thanks for all the comments and advice. It helped me to think about giving teaching another go. I've applied for a job that was advertised as FT and have been offered a temp PT job smile. I'm just about to start another thread about teaching Year 3 as it Will by first time with this year group.

toastedmarshmallow Thu 13-Feb-14 23:08:03

that should have said I applied for not I've applied - oops!

toastedmarshmallow Thu 13-Feb-14 23:09:22

also my first time teaching this Year group- stupid phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now