Talk

Advanced search

How to find teachers who want to tutor

(9 Posts)
Jacarandablue Tue 04-Feb-14 21:36:11

I am a tutor and am inundated with clients and also have a huge waiting list. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions of how I can find experienced teachers (or ex-teachers) who would like to tutor and take some of my waiting list students. I have tried word-of-mouth (initially successful), Gumtree (waste of time) and even asked at a few schools (they didn't want to be seen to condone tutoring). I want to be able to help students when they need it - not when I eventually have space for them.

Are there particular forums/websites teachers might look at where I could advertise? Would an ad in a local paper be something you might look at if you were looking to tutor?

Thank you - any suggestions welcomed.

Finickynotfussy Thu 06-Feb-14 22:11:42

I think the issue that you are up against is that many teachers will be too knackered to consider tutoring - I suspect most (like me) agree to do the occasional child because a friend/parent has asked us nicely. Also there was a circular from HMRC last year spelling out that teachers who don't do a tax return could owe tax on any undeclared tutoring or exam marking - that will have put some off I expect.

I do know retired and not-currently-working teachers who consider tutoring a nice way of keeping their hand in, however - could you track some down via the relevant subject association? Possibly NCT might be a way of finding suitable teachers who are on mat. leave? I met loads while I was pregnant/on leave.

Possibly a subject conference would let you advertise, although it might not be worth it if delegates are from a wide area (unless it's online tutoring).

twentyten Thu 06-Feb-14 22:15:29

A friend uses the tutor pages

complexnumber Fri 07-Feb-14 15:26:34

What subject and age range?

I may be returning to the UK in the next year or so. I would be looking to supplement my income with tutoring.

(I teach y6 - y13 maths, all levels)

AntoinetteCosway Fri 07-Feb-14 15:37:03

If you're in North Yorkshire send anyone requiring English tuition my way grin

(Finnicky isn't exam marking taxed at source? <panics and tries to find last year's paperwork>)

Finickynotfussy Fri 07-Feb-14 18:29:52

The exam marking I do is taxed at source yes, but I think you may still need to declare it/pay self-employed NIC, but I could be wrong -- I DO have to do a tax return (used to be self-employed) so tax at source is v. annoying!

AntoinetteCosway Fri 07-Feb-14 20:27:01

I checked and it was taxed at source, though I do have to do a tax return anyway for my tutoring. As long as I don't have to pay tax on the marking again I'm ok!

Misssss Sun 09-Feb-14 07:36:55

If you're in Greater Manchester send them to me!

Blackwattle Sun 09-Feb-14 20:14:41

Thank you all for your suggestions - I will follow them up.

I teach English and Maths up to GCSE but have also had requests for just about every subject so the 'subject associations' sound like a good idea.

I'm in South-West London so sorry I can't help you out in North Yorkshire or Manchester.

Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now