Advanced search

International Schools

(8 Posts)
FieryChipotle Mon 20-Jan-14 20:09:23

Thank you for the advice, Caspar.

I have been offered the promotion so I will take it. I guess if I see an OS job later down the line I will have more of an edge.

I have three children and a husband (also a teacher) so not exactly free and easy to up sticks and move. I just have itchy feet and need some new experiences somehow! I love my school, the staff and students are wonderful, I just feel a bit 'meh..' (Very articulate, I know!)

casperthefriendlyghost Mon 20-Jan-14 19:30:15

My DH and I moved overseas last summer. My DH is a secondary teacher and had reached the point where it was really difficult for him to get any further promotion in the UK so as a family we decided to try the adventures of International School life instead. From a timing perspective now is the time to apply for overseas roles. So, given that you are looking at a promotion in September it may be worthwhile holding out for that. If it doesn't materialise you can look to go the OS route and start applying in earnest next January for a September 2015 start. (Actually, do go to the CIS fair in Jan but you will need to apply by Nov for that.) There are fantastic opportunities for promotion in international schools - there is a high rate of staff turnover because of the contractual nature of the job so they do like to promote from within if they can as it saves time and money. My DH has for example already had his first promotion, 4 months into our OS adventure... It is however, not a given that you will get a promotion. BUT, if you don't & you want to move on then contracts generally run for 2 years & most international teachers seem to move on anyway after 3 or 4 years at the latest.
As far as I can see so far there are a multitude of pros & cons to the international teaching aspect and different ones will depend on your particular situation ie, do you have family, are you single, do you mix well, can you look on the sunny side of life?? The biggest pro is that my DH is actually teaching now rather than doing so much paper pushing. The kids are generally speaking an absolute delight to deal with, class sizes are smaller (my 3 year old is in a nursery group of 10, my 5 year old has a class size of 15, there are 19 in my 8 year olds class.) When it comes to location pick well - trust your instincts on where you would/would not like to be in the world & what is important to you about that location - I'm very much learning about this! Also try & find out as much info as you can about the school from external sources - not all international schools are good and have their problems just like schools in the UK...

FieryChipotle Sat 18-Jan-14 08:44:55

Thank you! I had a meeting with the head on Friday and he asked me to hold off on applications as he is hoping to promote me by Easter, September at the latest. I just can't help wanting to go abroad! I think the new year has given me itchy feet.

I sent off an application a week ago but heard nothing back. As the interviews are supposed to be next week I guess I'm not successful this time. Oh well! smile

BritabroadinAsia Sat 18-Jan-14 08:31:34

Agree with pp regarding the experience of enjoying a different culture as perhaps being the primary factor.
My kids attend a very good international school with some fabulous teachers, but where we live the costs of living (particularly accommodation) are considerably higher than the UK, so please factor that into your decision making.
That said, cannot recommend the experience of being abroad highly enough, and am a teacher myself with lots of opportunities for supply work (and tutoring) available.
Good luck with your decision/applications!

complexnumber Sat 18-Jan-14 07:35:16

This is from the tes overseas teaching forum (maybe you started it yourself. In which case, sorry)

Cerisier Fri 17-Jan-14 12:35:30

Answering the questions- it depends on the closing date when you might hear back. If you haven't heard back a week after the closing date you could make a gentle enquiry.

If you definitely want a promotion next year it is probably best to stay where you are. There will be no guarantees that there will be a suitable position available to you in the international school. Plus there might be top competition so you might not get it anyway.

Only go international if you want to live in another culture and meet and learn from all sorts of different people.

Cerisier Fri 17-Jan-14 12:27:20

It all depends. There are some first rate amazing international schools and some awful (usually) for-profit dives plus of course lots in between out there. Have a look on the TES boards for some insights from those who work/have worked overseas.

FieryChipotle Fri 17-Jan-14 12:21:12

I've recently applied for a job at an international school and I was wondering how quickly I might hear back regarding interviews etc? It's just a classroom teacher role.

My second question- if I was to be successful in my application, would it be more beneficial to take the job or to stay in a school in the UK where I am confident of promotion next academic year?

Thanks! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now