Talk

Advanced search

What outside agencies are involved with your school?

(6 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Mon 27-May-13 23:01:11

I'm looking to retrain after being a primary teacher. ( another one!) I'd still like to be involved in schools somehow but maybe either by visiting schools or working within a school but not as a teacher.
Apart from school staff, who comes into your school regularly? Apart from the cleaner...

tethersend Mon 27-May-13 23:24:06

I'm an advisory teacher for Looked After Children; I hold a caseload of children and visit them in school/work with the school to support them.

Can you say which area you are in? Different councils have different models of support services...

Imsosorryalan Tue 28-May-13 10:03:55

I'm in kent. How did you get into this area?

tethersend Tue 28-May-13 17:35:51

I taught in special and mainstream schools working with children with challenging behaviour and then PRUs/ESBD schools; it was a natural progression as I was very interested in improving educational outcomes for Looked After Children. The job came up, I applied and was successful- and I love it.

It's interesting that you are in Kent, as they have a very high concentration of children in the care of other local authorities. They have a relatively well funded Virtual School- website here.

Is it an area you are interested in?

BackforGood Tue 28-May-13 18:19:36

As tethersend says, the way things are organised in different LAs very considerably.... although I suppose it will end up the same once Gove has stripped them all back to the bone.

Anyway... Ed Psychs, Communication and Autism Team, Behaviour Support Service, Learning Difficulties Team, VI Team, HI Team, SaLT, quite a lot of local schools but in a charity which does a lot of work around emotional stuff - from bereavement to bullying, LACEs staff,

Imsosorryalan Tue 28-May-13 21:37:21

Thethersend, yes. I have worked with LAC but only in a mainstream setting. I'm unsure of what I'd need to do, training or otherwise, to be able to get into this area.
The kent virtual website is fab. Thanks for the link. I can contact them for advice too.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now