Talk

Advanced search

Absense during Ofsted?

(10 Posts)
StressedByOfsted Thu 16-May-13 19:10:42

Would you ever have a day off for illness during Ofsted? Obviously it would depend on the seriousness of the illness but would you try harder to get in during Ofsted or would you take it as an opportunity to get out of Ofsted?

Btw, this is not me, I have not taken any time off during Ofsted, I've been in even though I feel like shit, while a colleague has been off ill with a very vague type of illness.

HedgeHogGroup Thu 16-May-13 19:45:44

I think people think better of you if you struggle in & get sent home during OFSTED - saves colleagues (& employers) questioning whether you're really sick

Pozzled Thu 16-May-13 19:56:35

I'd struggle in. I usually do anyway, but if Ofsted were in, I'd pretty much have to be hospitalized to call in sick!

I wouldn't think too badly of a colleague that was off, though.

birdofthenorth Thu 16-May-13 19:57:47

As a Chair of Governors, I confess I would say this -if your teaching is inadequate, stay home with a sniffle; if it's good or better, soldier in with the plague!

StressedByOfsted Thu 16-May-13 21:20:59

Oh well, bird, maybe my colleague was right to stay off then. It feels very disloyal to say that though. It doesn't seem very fair on our cover supervisors to be dealing with Ofsted queries about his classes either.

TinyDiamond Thu 16-May-13 21:43:24

I'm a cover supervisor. we had ofsted the other week and quite a few people were off, I was gobsmacked. even more so at the fact that I got 'inspected'

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-May-13 21:48:03

I wouldn't judge your colleague, well not until you can spell absence anyway.....smile

StressedByOfsted Thu 16-May-13 23:32:18

No, I know that Jilted. I noticed that after I'd already posted. It's a good job my subject doesn't involve a lot of spelling. grin

StressedByOfsted Fri 17-May-13 15:53:10

I feel incredibly guilty today, having suspected he was pulling a fast one. He was hospitalised last night and will be off for 6 weeks recovery shock. He just looked so well on Wednesday and we were all so stressed that we jumped to conclusions we shouldn't have.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 17-May-13 17:12:20

Seems like its not just the pupils who've had a lesson today smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now