Talk

Advanced search

Tricky situation with colleagues dc, advice please

(8 Posts)
saadia Mon 13-May-13 19:55:22

I teach the dc of a colleague who works at my school. The child is able but gets distracted easily and finds it difficult to focus. When working with focus groups (we are in Reception) I give each child attention and they all get on. Colleague has started saying that dc is not being pushed enough. I do give lots of support and encouragement to each child but after a certain point I want the children to work independently ie not having to sound out each letter for them, to see what they can do. I have told colleague that I am happy to suggest ways she can support dc at home but not sure if I should do anything else.

lougle Mon 13-May-13 20:22:42

What would you do if the child wasn't the child of your colleague and the parent came to you in the same way?

saadia Mon 13-May-13 20:29:47

That's an interesting question, I do have other children in the class who are able but find it difficult to stay focused. I have told their parents this at Parents Evening and told them that I try different ways to motivate the child - sometimes through reward charts etc. Most parents say that they will talk to the chid, and will encourage and practice at home etc.

lougle Mon 13-May-13 20:32:39

So what's different? smile

saadia Mon 13-May-13 20:33:02

Just realised that I didn't actually answer your question. If a parent did come to me to say this I would probably ask them to be more specific.

deleted203 Mon 13-May-13 20:38:41

It's always tricky to deal with the dc of a colleague, but I have to agree with lougle - you have to pretend they are not a colleague, IYSWIM.

I will never discuss a child with parent in staffroom - if I have concerns I would phone/write home and ask parent to make an appointment to see me. And if they have concerns then I would expect them to make an appointment to come see me as a parent.

If I were you and the colleague brings the matter up again I would simply smile and say, 'Would you like to make an appointment for you/your husband/wife to come see me at some point so that we can discuss your concerns and see what strategies I can suggest?'

This makes it clear (hopefully) that just because they work with you doesn't mean they should be repeatedly making comments in the staffroom about their child not being 'pushed' enough. It's unprofessional IMO.

saadia Mon 13-May-13 20:38:59

Mmmhmm, yes I know what you're saying but this colleague doesn't want to acknowledge or take any responsibility for supporting the dc

saadia Mon 13-May-13 20:41:21

Thank you lougle and sowornout, that's a good idea, will remember to maintain a distance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now