Talk

Advanced search

New primary floor targets - just how far up in the air is the floor floating?

(2 Posts)
partystress Fri 19-Apr-13 18:40:37

Can anyone in the know help me understand the new floor targets that DFE have announced? It says that in addition to the need for 60% (rising next year to 65%) to get at least a 4 in the 3Rs, all schools which fall below the median in reading, writing and maths will have fallen below the floor. If the median is the midpoint, doesn't that mean half of all schools will be below the floor? Even if you say that they have to fall below the median in all 3 Rs judged separately, given the degree of overlap that will still be close to 50%. How can that be a floor target? Surely a floor is something very low - so low that action is justified to turn it round. Have I read it wrong or is it another nail in the coffin for any school that is trying to resist academisation?

lougle Fri 19-Apr-13 23:27:35

I don't know, but I've been told that DD1 (7.4) is currently a 1c for maths (she has SN and goes to special school) but the teachers are worried that because of the new targets, she will appear to regress next year, and may well be back on Plevels, despite actually making progress.

It's a madness, tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now