Advanced search

Job Dilemmas...

(29 Posts)
FelicityWasCold Mon 11-Mar-13 18:22:56

So the situation is,

I currently have a rubbish job at an ok school.

Now two jobs have come up...

A prestigious promotion in the ok school.

A less prestigious but still a bit of a step up job in a school which is much friendlier and much more 'me'.


wild Fri 22-Mar-13 04:56:52

blimey, that's almost my entire salary! you must be so pleased, very well done. you have more chance of changing the working environment from a positon of power, too (she adds optimistically...)
have a super Easter

FelicityWasCold Thu 21-Mar-13 23:40:15

Opps, hope you are feeling ok! Well done for the report- this term is super hard, you think it will be easy as its short, and then towards the end of Feb you remember how bloody hard it is.

I didn't get the job at the other school, which made it a very easy decision! And in the end the pay differential was almost 20 grand shock which is frightening really. So despite it not being my favourite working environment in the world, the vastly superior job is more than worth it!!

wild Thu 21-Mar-13 21:58:59

How did it go at the other school, was it a clear decision?
I just got a glowing NQT report for term 2, am v pleased! unfortunately in my excitement at grabbing it from the car I managed to fall into the side of my own front door and give myself a black eye ... not such a good look! has been a short but v intense term ...

FelicityWasCold Thu 21-Mar-13 20:13:44

Ohh rogue wink there, sorry!

FelicityWasCold Thu 21-Mar-13 20:13:17

grin nowhere exciting it was a next special I'm afraid, still it did the job - even though I had to wear the outfit 2 days in a row in the end!

I'm very excited,thanks wink

wild Thu 21-Mar-13 19:42:47

you must tell me where you shop grin

wild Thu 21-Mar-13 19:42:06

oh felicity! congraluations! am so pleased for you. You excited?

FelicityWasCold Thu 21-Mar-13 17:41:11

Update as promised! It's been a very stressful week.... But I got (and have accepted) the promotion at school. grin

FelicityWasCold Sat 16-Mar-13 17:43:37

Well still don't know what to prepare. But I've bought an interview outfit, so that's ok then!

wild Sat 16-Mar-13 11:42:08

yeah friday night is my night off, too! Well let's hope you find out more soon - in a way it's nice not to have too long to prepare, I tend to over prepare and stress then. Good luck!

FelicityWasCold Fri 15-Mar-13 22:55:23

I am chilled- It's Friday and I'm on the wine! (Which also explains the grammar!).

Worryingly I don't yet know what I have to do... They left me a voicemail this afternoon saying it was on Tuesday and could I attend. Then said that they would be in touch soon with more information.

So frankly anything could happen. Assuming I'll have to teach a lesson but no idea which year group.

wild Fri 15-Mar-13 22:39:40

very exciting. what do you have to do? is it gruelling? you sound v v chilled! entirely promising!

FelicityWasCold Fri 15-Mar-13 22:24:05

A day I should probably devote to studying apostrophes blush

FelicityWasCold Fri 15-Mar-13 22:23:26

I am excited- getting an interview is always ego boosting isn't it! wink

Well, whatever happens its a day off work...

wild Fri 15-Mar-13 22:13:46

good luck know you'll probably be offered, simply because of the dilemma! you sound excited smile

FelicityWasCold Fri 15-Mar-13 22:11:06

Got an interview next week!

FelicityWasCold Wed 13-Mar-13 10:36:21

I will update when I know something! Got to tell the Head I'm applying today. Eek.

wild Tue 12-Mar-13 21:10:10

all the more reason to go for both, then! smile
good luck and please update!

FelicityWasCold Tue 12-Mar-13 07:16:10

Yes, sadly, so might not get it.

wild Mon 11-Mar-13 22:22:24

apply for both! (is the promotion in your current school advertised externally?)

Inclusionist Mon 11-Mar-13 22:02:19

Definitely apply for new school.

Keep your options open!!

FelicityWasCold Mon 11-Mar-13 21:54:13

I'd like to tour the other school, but the application is due in a couple of days (I'm being vague, in case anyone recognises me, sorry!) and I won't get away from current school to do that.

Could always apply for both and hold my breath... Except I know the interviews for new school are before Easter and promotion after Easter.

wild Mon 11-Mar-13 21:49:26

I do feel two faced about it as there is lots I love about my job, hence accepting to stay- but some issues I can't tolerate and although SMT is aware of them, nothing is happening.
Why don't you go and see the other school Felicity? if you had the tour it might help you make up your mind! Don't forget that the promotion in your current school doesn't mean you have to stay forever, it is likely to lead to other opportunities, which might be clearer winners iyswim

FelicityWasCold Mon 11-Mar-13 21:43:52

Wild, no, keep looking if you are unhappy.

FelicityWasCold Mon 11-Mar-13 21:42:12

Well school 2, might not be 'me'. But it has an excellent reputation, people I respect think I would enjoy it there, and it is they type of school in the right setting for me. Also when I phoned up to ask about the job I was immediately put through to a really knowledgable person who was friendly and helpful.

Current job is rubbish, but the school isn't rubbish. If I got the promotion I would be doing the part of my job I enjoy the most, in a more senior position, working with people I like. I don't love the 'culture' of my current school, but I am coping and being recommended for promotion so it's not a competency issue.

Possible new school job is not as good, as promotion but the school is likely to be nicer, less macho.

Hmmm I'm so confused! Thanks for the answers though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now