Advanced search

Becoming a TA...

(8 Posts)
DizzyHoneyBee Tue 26-Feb-13 20:49:57

The Open University courses in education require you to be in school for 5 hours a week, either paid or as a volunteer.

simpson Thu 14-Feb-13 22:45:43

It was my local adult college with one evening session per week. You needed to have 8 hours in a classroom. Enforce they changed the criteria hmm

The next college is too far distance wise I think. Although I will look into it (I don't drive).

I will definately keep my placement going till July (and then see if they want me again if I am not working as it all looks good on the old CV!!)

I have to say magnificunt I do love your name grin

Magnificunt Thu 14-Feb-13 22:30:20

Is there another college you could apply to, e.g an adult college? They may have different criteria.

I have just started a level 2 course and need to be in a placement for a minimum of 6 hours, this is at an adult college.

When I applied at the main college, the criteria for a level 2 course was the same (6 hours voluntary or employed), but for the level 3 course it was 6 months experience or being actually employed as a TA.

simpson Thu 14-Feb-13 22:20:10

Oh yes I do know what you mean grin

Most of the jobs state specific qualifications (but admittedly I have not looked at loads and have only had a browse today).

I would not not apply iyswim because I don't have a qualification yet..

I guess the advantage of being in 2 separate schools on a regular basis is that I might get to hear of vacancies before they are advertised and yes, they will know me smile

ipotty Thu 14-Feb-13 22:14:54

Yes I know what you mean. But if a job comes up either at your volunteer school or your dcs school you will stand a decent chance of getting it because they know you already, even if you don't have any qualifications. Experience of working in a school is a massive advantage. Unless the job advert states that qualifications are an essential part of the person spec, I would apply for all jobs in any school that appeal to you. Can you tell that this is my specialist subject?smile

simpson Thu 14-Feb-13 22:00:59

Thanks smile

I forgot to say that I also read with yrs1, 2 and 4 weekly in my DC school.

I just think that in the current climate there is competition for each TA job so I might need to be more formally qualified sad I have looked at the jobs advertised in my local area and it does seem that way.

ipotty Thu 14-Feb-13 21:51:12

I think that if you have experience in a school either as a volunteer or in a paid capacity, you could still apply for TA jobs. It's not essential that you have any qualification. Most of the TAs I know don't have any formal qualifications.

simpson Thu 14-Feb-13 21:46:14

I know there have been loads of posts on this before blush

Now that my youngest DC is in school full time I have thought about becoming a TA.

Last June when I first looked into it, the course I wanted to do at my local college required that you had a placement in a school for 6 months before able able to start the course, so I duly sent out my CV (as I wanted it separate from my DC school really) and was really pleased to get a placement in a reception class and started in September.

However I have contacted the college and now the criteria has changed hmm and you now need to be employed by a school for 10 hours a week.This is not possible as I am a LP so need to be working full time.

So now I am thinking of doing an online course (NCFE). But I have read (looking at other threads on here) that they are worthless.

Is that because they don't need you to have a placement??

I am going to keep my placement until July, so will that make a difference?

Or are there any other online courses that are better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now