HELP! I don't know what to do!!!(5 Posts)
Good luck, I had one today!
I am also trying to apply for ups, I am pt and it is clear now that it will take me a couple of years to get it. Don't assume that you will be awarded it straight away as my head has given me a few points to work on before she will consider me. These are mainly to do with being part time though...
This has been the longest half term ever, which equals mega stress for all. Maybe this is making you feel worse? I go through periods of immense stress and then things sort themselves out again, but then I am part time.
See how you get on tomorrow,it will go brilliantly I am sure! Remember your open questioning (from my feedback today!!!!)
You have a lot of different things going on in your mind. Maybe you should separate them out.
1) You know you need to work financially. You need to decide how many days you need to ideally work.
2) If you definitely want to go part-time then you need to decide whether you want to stay in a school you know well and try to go part-time there or look out for a part-time post somewhere else. Remember that starting at a new school can be stressful in itself - but perhaps there would be other benefits to it. Distance, smaller classes etc. Have you considered looking for a PPA post?
3) Have you broached the part-time position with your HT. Do you know whether it would be a possibility?
4) You are feeling poorly and stressed with the observation. This is probably having a bearing on everything else.
I know exactly what you mean about having no enthusiasm for your own DC. When mine were young I found it really difficult to have patience with them in the evenings because I had used it all up during the day! Full-time teaching is tough - it's very draining. It's really good that you have a very supportive DP to help you through this time.
I hope you come to a decision that you are happy with soon and lots of luck with your observation!
Thank you so much for your reply...yes, I am fed up!
I think I will take your advice and just get through this blasted observation first, before making any concrete decisions.
I have spoken to my DP about it, and he is really supportive as he sees the stress I'm under.
I am just soooo tired every evening...too tired to even listen to my own kids with proper enthusiasm, and I feel I am giving the best of my care and attention to my class instead.
Unfortunately, I do have to work, as we are not so well off financially, but am seriously contemplating part time or a jobshare. My Head wouldn't really consider me moving to 4 days until September at least, and if I am on UPS1, I am hoping it will cushion the monetary blow a bit.
I know what you mean...I am settled in this school and it would be a huge leap of faith to move schools, but I have been in this school for 5 years, so am not sure whether it's time to move on, or do I just feel the grass will be greener elsewher...I'm so confused.
Anyway, thank you again for your reply, and I hope I feel happier soon, too!
I didn't want to leave your post unanswered because you sound so fed-up.
Really sorry to hear that you are struggling at the moment. Teaching can be like that and I always find that I feel ten times worse when coming up to an observation! It's as though all my worries intensify - and of course if you are coming down with a cold too you are bound to feel rubbish.
Only you can decide what you should do about your career. Perhaps you should wait until the observation is out of the way and then have a good think over the weekend and perhaps a good chat with your DP. I find that I often feel like a weight has been lifted after the obs is over.
Consider the following:
Can you ask to go part-time sooner rather than later? eg. from Summer term.
Do you really HAVE to work financially? Or could you cut back in other areas? Would that make you happier?
Do you want to start at a new school with all the issues that come with being a new member of staff again? Or perhaps you would enjoy the change?
Find out a bit more about threshold and whether you have to stay in the same school for the following academic year if you have just applied (I can't remember the rules!!).
If you join a franchise (and I know nothing about the one you mention) you would have to pay out a large sum in advance I think. Have you thought all this through?
No answers here - but I hope you feel happier soon
I'm a primary school teacher, currently on M6, so I will need to submit my Threshold file in May to go onto UPS1 in September.
The problem is....I'm really unhappy at school, and would love to be a SAHM. I do enjoy teaching, but the ridiculous amount of paperwork and assessment is slowly sucking the life out of me...I have zero work life balance and it's really getting me down.
Should I stick it out and get through threshold (and possibly aim to go down to 3/4 days), look for a new job elsewhere or just leave teaching and join a francise like Kip McGrath, as financially I need to be working???
Sorry for the long post, but I am at my wit's end. I can't sleep through thinking about what I'm going to do, I'm getting observed on Friday by my not-very-helpful Deputy Head and Literacy Coordinator, and I'm coming down with a cold!
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.