Advanced search

Primary teaching

(14 Posts)
Pickles77 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:18:02

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of looking into a career change when my maternity leave is up. I've looked into midwifrey but im thinking of looking into primary school teaching.
The courses and finding out the route I would have to go seems very confusing.
I have my GCSEs and a NVQ 3 ( in a non relevant subject)


PotteringAlong Sun 04-Nov-12 13:22:24

You will need a degree, preferably in a national curriculum subject, and then do a 1 year teacher training course, or you will need a place on a BEd degree which will give you qualified teacher status at the end.

If you contact the education department at your local uni they can tell you exactly what you will need.

Have you got any experience in sch

PotteringAlong Sun 04-Nov-12 13:23:06

Sorry - that should be "have you got any experience in schools"?

Pickles77 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:30:02

No I don't.
What's a BEd involve?
Sorry I'm a bit clueless

WofflingOn Sun 04-Nov-12 13:43:15

Why do you want to teach?

Feenie Sun 04-Nov-12 13:47:01

You can also do a BA with QTS.

stargirl1701 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:49:00

Are you in Scotland or England? There are many more routes available in England.

WofflingOn Sun 04-Nov-12 13:49:05

What job did you have before maternity leave. OP?

BackforGood Sun 04-Nov-12 13:50:07

A B.Ed is a degree in education, as opposed to being a degree in geography or maths or law. It usually takes 4 years from when you start. If your NVQ L3 is equivalent to 2 A levels, then, in thoery you can go on to do a degree from that level, in practice though you will be likely to be competing for places with people with more than 2 A levels. The B Ed gives you qualified teacher status thoug, as part of the course.
Alternatively, some people do a degree in a subject - eg biology - the a year's course afterwards (called a PGCE) which is supposed to teach you how to teach, and it's the PGCE that gives you QTS.
All teacher training courses are looking for evidence that the applicants have recent experience either (or often both) volunteering in a school and/or working with children / young people in other capacity such as guides / scouts / youth clubs / teachig swiiming or coaching other sports / etc.

Pickles77 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:55:06

Thank you everyone.
My previous job was working with rather expensive thoroughbred horses but I know that if I left school now it's not a career I would choose at all.
I've always wanted to do a rewarding job such as teaching or nursing

Feenie Sun 04-Nov-12 13:59:39

A BA with QTS works the same way as a BEd.

WofflingOn Sun 04-Nov-12 14:00:38

You have a lot on your plate at the moment, so getting into teaching could be your long term plan. It's going to take several years, whatever route you take, and with a baby you are going to need a lot of good family backup to support you both.

PotteringAlong Sun 04-Nov-12 14:45:47

If I were you I'd get some experience in a few schools if you can - they're all quite different and, as people have said above, it'll take at least 4 years to qualify which is a long time unless you're certain it's what you want to do.

beamme Sun 04-Nov-12 17:50:01

Pickles77 I've just started from the bottom up. 2 years ago started training as a TA and have completed level 2 and 3 courses. Have now just embarked on an Early Years Foundation Degree, which is 2 years. From there I can do another year to top up to a full degree and then start teacher training, which is a further 2 years. All my courses have been part time as I need to work. It's a long slog but worth it and when I'm qualified will still have another 20 years of work in me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: