Talk

Advanced search

Does your own child never want to read their books?

(2 Posts)
PopMusicShoobyDoobyDoA Thu 25-Oct-12 23:55:54

So I spend a lot of time encouraging children/their parents to read their reading book at home together. I come home, and does my child want to read? No way, Jose as my DS tells me. I try bribes (yes, sweets) but even that does not work. Occasionally, we start reading, and then he says "blah, blah,blah." (Such a joker.) At that point, i just tell him to put the book away. He is just learning to read so I don't make a big fuss. It's the same with any other homework (phonics related). It's infuriating (on the inside). I know how important it is.

He loves being read too though. And another plus is that he has been attempting to spell out words verbally over this half term and getting me to read signs (I sneakily get him to help me).

Does anyone have the same problem?

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 26-Oct-12 00:46:14

I would sympathise, but after 5.5 years of trying to get my dyslexic DD1 to read and resisting just writing "rubbish again" in her reading record I find it difficult.

Then DD2 came along and rubbed salt in the wounds by learning so easily that I had to find several hundred ways of saying "smallest Star read beautifully and far more accurately than her Mother can".

As for DD1 she finally learnt to read just in time for her SATs long after reading logs had been abandoned so I never did get to write "bigger Star read beautifully"

This kind of makes me sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now