Talk

Advanced search

20 min literacy lesson at interview

(4 Posts)
janji Mon 22-Oct-12 21:18:08

Help, help, help!!! Not been teaching for the past year and have a much wanted interview on Friday. Have been asked to teach a group of approx 16 mixed year 1, 2 and 3's a literacy session . Carte Blanche, nothing else specified. This is a job I would absolutely live to get but am panicking and need inspiration / help if anyone could spare me the time. I know you are all really busy but would really, really appreciate any input you can spare.

AshieFan Wed 24-Oct-12 07:51:52

This is a toughie but can be done. Do you have any ideas about what you would like to do?

My first thought was

Zone of relevance board for character from a well known story eg big bad wolf(just google zone of relevance) - read a very short version of the story to remind them, put prepared words into the zones, can children come up with any more words to describe big bad wolf, and then you can use the relevant words to make sentences on mini wbs and then get them to up level the sentences. Very active, lots of partner work and the older ones can support the younger ones.

LeeCoakley Wed 24-Oct-12 08:23:52

We had an interesting session this week about heroes and villains in traditional fairy stories. 6 story titles were put on the board and the children had to discuss with their partners who was who in the story. (Interestingly Goldilocks was a 'hero' initially). Then on whiteboards they chose one hero and one villain and had to write down the characteristics that made them like that. E.g. 3 Little Pigs - cute, small, worked together, happy. Big, Bad Wolf - ugly, scary, tried to eat the pigs etc. The year 2s found it great fun and found characters that were borderline e.g. Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk and the 3 Billy Goats Gruff.
Good luck!

AshieFan Wed 24-Oct-12 09:07:37

Oops, the pre-prepared words go outside of the actual board to begin with and children decide which part/zone to put the words.

Leecoakley, I like your idea but because there are year 3 children in the mix I think they probably need to be challenged eg sentences. I think it's a deliberate attempt by school to find out about how well op differentiates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now