Talk

Advanced search

Anyone requested a day off?

(13 Posts)
slipslider Mon 08-Oct-12 23:15:12

I've never requested a day off work but my best friend has booked her wedding during term time on a weekday and has asked me to be bridesmaid. She has been told there is a strong possibility that I will not be granted the time off work. I am not sure how to best go about this with my head....any advice pls!

pudding25 Mon 08-Oct-12 23:17:23

I would definitely ask. My school will let us take time off (unpaid) for really important occasions.

slipslider Mon 08-Oct-12 23:26:58

I will do thanks...I just need to know if it is likely or not...don;t want to get excited about being a bridesmaid if ppl say it might not be granted! Not counting chickens but there is hope if others have had time off in other places!

MelangeATrois Tue 09-Oct-12 00:39:48

I had 1 day off unpaid when DS was starting school, as he was doing half days and there was absolutely no one available on one particular day. The Head didn't seem too affronted!!

funchum8am Tue 09-Oct-12 00:44:37

I got a day off for a wedding where I was doing a reading. At my school it is at the head's discretion so I guess he looked at my absence record and decided since I am never really off, it was ok.

Euphemia Tue 09-Oct-12 07:26:21

My understanding is you're allowed time off for weddings, apart from your own. smile

ganglygiraffe Tue 09-Oct-12 07:30:57

I had half a day off for my friend's wedding last year.

Ask, it can't do any harm smile

almapudden Tue 09-Oct-12 07:31:24

I had a day off for a friend's wedding where DP was doing a reading. It's worth asking!

Lilliana Tue 09-Oct-12 07:33:20

I had a day off for my uncles wedding (unpaid). I would ask; the worst they could say is no! At our school it is at the discretion of the head.

overmydeadbody Tue 09-Oct-12 07:38:22

I had a day off for my sister's wedding. The head said it would be unpaid but it wasn't.

slipslider Tue 09-Oct-12 18:35:28

Yay....it is a yes! I was thinking it would be a no as the head does not give holidays to children lightly but she agreed straight away so I am very impressed. Thanks guys!

slipslider Tue 09-Oct-12 18:35:56

* let alone staff!

ash979 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:20:55

My best friend got married in Italy a few years back. At the time I was acting head cos the real head was off on the sick. I went to my chair of governors to ask permission for a couple of days off and her reply was can your friend not rearrange her wedding! Errrr no funnily enough! I went anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now