Talk

Advanced search

English and history teachers can I have your opinions please?

(6 Posts)
Thewidewideworld Wed 03-Oct-12 16:10:46

Name changed for this as the site I'm going to link to has my rl name on it and I don't want to out myself on my regular name, but I am a longtime Mumsnetter.
I'm an English teacher with a big interest in YA fiction and I've put together a little website mainly for English teachers but which may also be of interest for teenagers and their parents. I've just put version one online and thought it would be good to get comments from teachers about what they would like to see in a site like this.
My plan is to build up some more content over the next few weeks and then upgrade the website - hopefullly I will add some extra features including a message forum. If I can get a bit of feedback before then I can make sure I am adding the right stuff. I really just want to make it a useful resource for busy classroom teachers who don't have time to read all the new YA literature themselves or scour the web looking for good author blogs or websites. If they can point pupils at it as a place where they can find out what they might like to read next that would be great. It might also be useful for parents who want to encourage their teens to read but don't know what to suggest. Will also post this on the children's books forum.
Anyway here it is the widewideworld

cricketballs Wed 03-Oct-12 17:00:20

I am not English/History so can not comment on the content, but the home page font colour is very hard to read and can look quite 'fuzzy'. the darker blue you use on the other pages is a lot easier to read. You can also 'turn' people off by having too much text so you may want to edit the introduction.

Whilst I may have sounded over critical I do applaud your enthusiasm and dedication and hope you continue to keep the website growing!

Thewidewideworld Wed 03-Oct-12 17:05:58

Cricketballs, thanks for taking the time to have a look at the site. I am definitely changing the font colour as you are the third person to make that particular critique! I plan to rewrite the copy as well to make it clearer. I was in two minds about going live with the site as yet, but I'm glad I have as I'm getting some good ideas about how I can improve it.

ObscuredByClouds Mon 08-Oct-12 22:51:23

I love the site and will be using it with my pupils/DCs. Thank you!

Themumsnot Tue 09-Oct-12 14:36:30

Oh thanks Obscured. I've put a load more stuff on it today and I think I have even managed to make a discussion forum - though how well it will work I can't say.

Themumsnot Tue 09-Oct-12 14:38:49

Aargh, epic namechange fail there. Pretend not to notice! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now