Talk

Advanced search

I need some advice. Homophobic bullying.

(3 Posts)
Loonytoonie Thu 27-Sep-12 18:38:42

I'm a form tutor for a new Y9 class. I've only known them 4 weeks to date. One of the girls is new to the class after moving a set 3 weeks ago. She's rather introvert and is obviously different in style to the 'mainstream' girls in the class. She's also extremely isolated. I admit that I've missed out on this and I'm desperate to do something about this.

She's been brought to my attention by the Pastoral care team in the school this evening - this weeks, she was taunted and bullied by a group of girls and the bullying was homophobic in nature. I know who the girls are but the pastoral team want to go down the restorative route (which the young girl is happy with).

I'm gutted that I've not picked anything up before now and I really want to help. If you have any advice for me I'd be really grateful as I'm not experienced in this at all. I'd like to here any ideas on how to 'intergrate' this young girl into a well-established group of students without making things worse!

Loonytoonie Thu 27-Sep-12 18:39:33

this week

FelicitywasSarca Thu 27-Sep-12 21:39:06

Talk and listen to the girl as much as possible. Find out what interests her and get her involved in activities that she likes and also include other, nice children.

Stamp like a ton of bricks on any signs of nastiness from others in your presence (towards anyone not just her). This will hopefully make her feel protected and more confident.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now