Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed on becoming a teaching assistant

(2 Posts)
Empusa Wed 26-Sep-12 12:06:45

Really hope some of you could help!

DH wants to become a teaching assistant, and currently has a volunteer placement at a local primary school. He'd like to end up working with children with special needs.

He applied for a place at a local college, but they've been being particularly obstructive (moving goalposts constantly), so there is no chance of him going to that college.

We've tried a college further away, but they'll only take him on if he finds a placement near to them, which seems a pain when he's found a school he'd really like to work with near us.

We've contacted the Apprenticeships organisation, but they've told him that he can't be a volunteer and do an apprenticeship, he has to be employed.

Are there any other options?

ptangyangkipperbang Thu 27-Sep-12 22:36:17

I would say that getting as much experience as possible is vital and preferably in different key stages. It's also good to volunteer at a school which has a diverse intake so he would gain knowledge of SEN, EAL, etc. The best course to go on is probably one sponsored by the school once he has a job - bit of a vicious circle really!
Have you heard of the Helping in Schools course? It's run by the WEA where I live. I did it about 8 years ago and it was excellent. You needed to be an unpaid volunteer to do it and I found it invaluable. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: