August Philip Hawke Brooksbank

(29 Posts)
VelveteenChair Sat 20-Feb-21 10:37:19

And he looks adorable.

Wishing them well.

OP’s posts: |
Pimlicojo Sat 20-Feb-21 10:43:44

They look very happy and he's a very sweet baby. I think including Philip as a middle name is lovely. August I think is 'unusual' - maybe he'll be Gus?

youngestisapsycho Sat 20-Feb-21 10:46:08

August? Don’t like that.... and born in February ! I thought he would be Philip.

Frazzled2207 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:46:45

Nice photo. Interesting name especially as he clearly wasn’t born in August. Yeah I think it will be Gus.
Augustus would have been “too posh”

SoupDragon Sat 20-Feb-21 10:47:43

August was not on any of the "guess lists" I saw!

SoupDragon Sat 20-Feb-21 10:49:28

Is it like the month or like the adjective? I always pronounce them with different stresses - AUgust and auGUST

AaronPurr Sat 20-Feb-21 10:49:30

I'm another who doesn't like the name August. Although I do love that they used Philip.

VelveteenChair Sat 20-Feb-21 10:50:27

Beatrice’s birthday is in August so maybe it’s a nod to that. Also August (pro Owwgust) is a Germanic name.

DerekMorganswife Sat 20-Feb-21 10:51:18

I love the name. Anyone who watched Once Upon a Time will know why! Cillian was also on my list for the same reason (both vetoed by my DH unfortunately.)

VelveteenChair Sat 20-Feb-21 10:51:25

One of Prince Albert’s names was Augustus. Maybe a nod to him as well. And Ethan Hawke.

LApprentiSorcier Sat 20-Feb-21 10:52:43

Damn, my money was on 'Gary'. grin

DudeistPriest Sat 20-Feb-21 10:55:07

I wish they called him Hawke as a first name, it would be weird but cool. 😎

poptartqueen Sat 20-Feb-21 10:55:34

I like it. DIfferent without being too 'out there'

EdithWeston Sat 20-Feb-21 10:59:55

I suppose August has to count as an ancient venerable name - because the month is named after the August(us) not the other way round

SnottyLottie Sat 20-Feb-21 11:56:53

The month August was named after the Roman Emperor Augustus so it doesn’t bother me that a February baby is names August. I think Augustus would have been a bit pretentious so August is a nice modern alternative.

Love that they honoured Prince Philip! I personally think Philip August sounds better flow wise but each to their own.

I’m curious as to where Hawke has come from. I wonder if it’s an old family name of his?

Shimmyshimmycocobop Sat 20-Feb-21 12:12:03

I love August, I don't think I would have been brave enough to name my dc that but as an aristocratic I'm sure he'll be able to carry it off.

SnottyLottie Sat 20-Feb-21 14:05:30

Hawke = Henry and William Kate Eugenie??

😆

I’m kidding of course

EdithWeston Sat 20-Feb-21 14:07:03

Beeb article says Hawke is a Brooksbank family name

SnottyLottie Sat 20-Feb-21 14:08:57

*Harry And William Kate Eugenie

OneFamilyToRuleUsAll Sat 20-Feb-21 15:15:39

August? Someone says "without it being too out there"? Pretty sure it's too out there and a bit naff even if it's a nod to birthday but hey, it's our beloved Eugenie, so no problems.

And Hawke? Someone seems to be copying MM with an American-sounding name. Archie and August Hawke.

Yeah I said it.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Feb-21 16:20:46

And Hawke? Someone seems to be copying MM with an American-sounding name. Archie and August Hawke.

Well, you'd be wrong then. Hawke is a Brooksbank family name as a pp said.

As for Archie being American sounding, there are no words 😂😂

BlueTimes Sat 20-Feb-21 16:22:43

VelveteenChair

One of Prince Albert’s names was Augustus. Maybe a nod to him as well. And Ethan Hawke.

And Princess Beatrice was his daughter, so a fitting link.

StanfordPines Sat 20-Feb-21 16:31:23

Not a name I would choose but then it’s not my baby!
I too want to know if it is pronounced as the month.

VelveteenChair Sat 20-Feb-21 17:28:39

Oh dear.

As this is my thread, I can derail it.

Prince Charles has driven from Gloucestershire to see Philip in hospital. I don’t think this is good news.

TrojaninTroy Sat 20-Feb-21 17:50:02

Augustus/Augusta were royal names back in the time of the Hanoverians.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in