Talk

Advanced search

Will Jack be offered a title

(11 Posts)
PoppyCherry Fri 02-Feb-18 21:10:02

When he marries Eugenie and if so, what would it be, an Earldom?

Trying to think of a precedent, but drawing a blank.

Boxingdaydisappoints Fri 02-Feb-18 21:12:53

Did Mark Phillips when he married Princess Anne? I don't think so, so I doubt it. Anne is behind Eugenie now but was 4th in line (possibly) at that time.

PoppyCherry Fri 02-Feb-18 21:28:26

That’s what I was trying to remember.

I’m pretty sure he was offered something (so that the children would also be titled) but they refused..?

missjaysays Fri 02-Feb-18 21:30:45

Yes that's right, Anne refused titles for her two

PoppyCherry Fri 02-Feb-18 21:32:32

I suppose the other comparison is Anthony Armstrong-Jones, hence my query about it being an Earldom, but as you say Boxing, Eugenie is somewhat down the pecking order now, rather than the daughter or sister of the reigning monarch.

tarheelbaby Fri 02-Feb-18 21:33:52

good question! maybe? consider Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra (the Hon Lady Ogilvy), children of the Duke of Kent, HM's uncle. Sir Angus Ogilvy was a second son and when he married her cousin Princess Alexandra, the Queen offered him an earldom (and other plums) but he declined. She did later make him RVO which gave him a 'sir'.

Historically, families would be working hard to marry their sons to these princesses of York.

According to the newspapers (what do they know? but there are some grains of truth to be gleaned), it seems that Charles is not keen on Andrew and has worked to distance Andrew and thus Bea and Eugie. Charles seems to be planning smaller/non-existant roles for the Yorks. Eugie has coped by finding a gallery job and a networking man. Her path will always be smoothed. Also it seems that HM has a soft spot for Andrew: he has created many a pickle and she has minimised them as best she could. BUT Eugie and Yorkie Bea do not have front row positions. So maybe she will offer to create him Earl of Somewhere but maybe Charles will put a damper on it.

PoppyCherry Fri 02-Feb-18 21:34:49

Angus Ogilvy was offers (and declined) and Earldom apparently too, when he married Princess Alexandra, who’s more distant.

Hmm. Sounds like, if anything, it will be that.

Wonder if he’ll take it, and I wonder which one if he does?

PoppyCherry Fri 02-Feb-18 21:35:19

Cross post tarheelbaby

PoppyCherry Fri 02-Feb-18 21:36:06

but maybe Charles will put a damper on it.

Yes, that’s a possibility.

DramaAlpaca Fri 02-Feb-18 21:39:20

I think Andrew will push very hard for his son in law to have a title.

lalalalyra Sun 11-Feb-18 19:15:06

I don't think there's any chance that he'll be given a title.

There's no public appetite for him to be titled, in fact it would bring negative publicity to them.

Also, the comparison with Princess Alexandra is slightly weakened (imo) by the fact that PA was a full-time working royal. She did a lot of work for the Queen over the years and I think that makes quite a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now