Talk

Advanced search

Meghan and Harry engagement on Monday??

(55 Posts)
NorthernLurker Sat 18-Nov-17 22:49:50

So she's packed in her acting job, they are visibly besotted, it's the queen and Prince philip's 70th anniversary on Monday......perfect day for an announcement and a summer wedding after Kate has given birth?

ssd Sat 18-Nov-17 23:34:39

The RF don't really do broken engagements

Nah, just marriages.

Battleax Sat 18-Nov-17 23:38:15

Nah, just marriages

Exactly. I was thinking of Charles and Diana.

SuperBeagle Sat 18-Nov-17 23:40:39

Kate is due in April, I'm sure I read somewhere?

I've heard February.

NorthernLurker Sat 18-Nov-17 23:42:42

It's not just a modern thing, a couple of Queen Victoria's grandchildren got divorced. Her grandson Ernest the Duke of Hesse married his cousin Victoria Melita, daughter of the first Duke of Edinburgh. It was a total disaster.
One of her other grandchildren was married to a very badly behaved prince and Queen Victoria telegraphed that the grandchild was to be told to 'come home to me'.

And let's not even mention the marriage disaster that was the union of the Prince Regent and Princess Caroline...........

Battleax Sat 18-Nov-17 23:42:57

The Cambridges have a policy of implying later due dates than are the case, I think. To avoid pressure.

juliantortoise Sat 18-Nov-17 23:43:06

Hopefully never. The Royal Family really don't need someone that. Unfortunately, William lowered the barriers when he married Kate M. hope his brother doesn't go downmarket as well. The Queen must be very worried.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sat 18-Nov-17 23:45:35

The Royal Family really don't need someone that.

That what?

Your post is hilarious. 😂

Battleax Sat 18-Nov-17 23:56:05

It's certainly got Prince and the Showgirl appeal. I'm not looking forward to Megan-mania either, TBH. I don't want to watch Suits or listen to all the relatives being interviewed under a three line whip.

Goshthatwentwell Sun 19-Nov-17 00:01:10

obviously " like" that... not that tricky surely...

I think ( even though Julian is on the wide up that it is a little disappointing. Harry is in the privileged position of meeting intresting woman from across the world. But no, it's the sodding model turned actress he goes for.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 19-Nov-17 00:01:35

Lol,the royal family historically and currently dysfunctional.history of marrying cousins
Royal family aren’t role models of clean living given their track record of scandal and impropriety

OliviaStabler Sun 19-Nov-17 00:02:21

Never going to happen.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sun 19-Nov-17 00:04:52

obviously " like" that... not that tricky surely.

Not tricky at all, just incomplete. And not obvious. When did you start speaking for other posters?

Battleax Sun 19-Nov-17 00:06:58

But no, it's the sodding model turned actress he goes for.

You must have noticed that that's what rich but not especially bright men do? (When they're freed from virgin/aristo/royalty/reputation restrictions.) smile

kooshbin Sun 19-Nov-17 00:11:10

It's the institution that mostly holds the power in "how things are done", and the Queen does tend to go along with the rules. No doubt there have been lots of conversations behind closed doors about Meghan's suitability as a royal bride.

Kate does seem to be doing a good job at being a Stepford Royal, so maybe the palace courtiers hope Meghan will do likewise.

Not that I'd envy anyone marrying into the Royal Family.

BeerBaby Sun 19-Nov-17 00:22:27

I think late December, January announcement. I think they probably are engaged or at least very stable. Not sure I'm keen either but it's got nothing to do with anyone other than them.

Butterymuffin Sun 19-Nov-17 00:40:10

Tricky timing. Royals all have short engagements, under six months, so if they announce anything before Christmas they'll be scrambling to get it in before Kate has the baby.

SleepingStandingUp Sat 25-Nov-17 23:28:26

For those that sent "keen", why not?

I can't imagine theyre aiming for before Kate has the baby - must surely be after as
April was given as the date

SleepingStandingUp Mon 27-Nov-17 10:23:53

Oooh Spring wedding.

NorthernLurker Mon 27-Nov-17 10:41:27

Ok ok I was a week out....,.

Battleax Mon 27-Nov-17 13:54:23

Here we go then. Crossing fingers they go for small, Windsor ceremony.

TurquoiseDress Mon 27-Nov-17 14:26:14

Here at work we're all wondering if it means we'll get a day off!

Am sure it'll be a wonderful big wedding smile

Battleax Mon 27-Nov-17 14:27:48

As long as it isn't in London. The traffic can't take it. Everything grinds to a halt (which is the real reason they had to declare a national holiday for W&K's shindig).

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 27-Nov-17 21:06:31

I hope they don't go for the full shebang. He's 5th and will be 6th in line by the time they get married. It will be an embarrassment if they do the big national-event-wedding.

Snap8TheCat Mon 27-Nov-17 21:14:50

As long as it isn't in London. The traffic can't take it.

If London can’t then where can? St. George’s chapel isn’t licensed for weddings and the guild hall, whilst lovely isn’t very big.

Battleax Mon 27-Nov-17 21:15:42

St. George’s chapel isn’t licensed for weddings

I thought Edward and Sophie married there?

Or there's Scotland.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »