Talk

Advanced search

Anyone watching tv coverage of patron's Lunch?

(87 Posts)
member Sun 12-Jun-16 14:05:39

I felt sorry for Prince Edward's daughter looking awkward as she was plunged into a walkabout. Never seen so many royals mingling with the Hoi polloi

AuntieStella Sun 12-Jun-16 14:17:21

I hadn't even noticed there was a programme about it, let alone one which is so very long.

I wouldn't have thought that it was an even which lent itself to TV coverage tbh.

Or is the main focus going to be on the work of some of the charities for which she is Patron?

member Sun 12-Jun-16 14:21:02

There has been some talk of the charity work/celebs involved in charities

Inmyownlittlecorner Sun 12-Jun-16 14:31:43

I'm watching it & I thought the same member. She looked so lost, she maybe should have been paired with one of her parents or one of her cousins.

BeJayKayven Sun 12-Jun-16 14:33:18

Lovely shade of cerise pink today - stunning

QueenEdith Sun 12-Jun-16 14:33:58

Well, the 'Queenmobile' is moving - just as there's a break in the clouds.

Glad the Duke of Ed's OK (he was unwell enough to have to cancel the odd engagement in the last couple of weeks)

Merrylegs Sun 12-Jun-16 14:43:45

Why didn't they provide chairs for HM and Mr HM for this bit. Not fair to keep them standing for so long.

drivinmecrazy Sun 12-Jun-16 14:48:30

Any one know where Prince Charles is? ?

Inmyownlittlecorner Sun 12-Jun-16 14:50:47

They showed footage of him & Camilla at a street party somewhere in Gloucestershire.

member Sun 12-Jun-16 14:50:54

He and Camilla are attending a community street party in Gloucestershire, showed them earlier

QueenEdith Sun 12-Jun-16 14:51:10

Stiff upper lip and knees which lock like a pony's perhaps?

The speechifying bits were pretty short, really.

I suppose it was either/or for Charles/William giving the speech though (unless it was going to drag on). Who was the person who spoke first?

drivinmecrazy Sun 12-Jun-16 14:53:59

Missed that bit!

AuntieStella Sun 12-Jun-16 15:03:40

Also, as the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh gradually shed their patronages, they're being taken up by the Cambridgeshire and Prince Harry (presumably Prince Charles at 67 has acquired enough).

Assuming that the charities actually want a royal patron, that is.

QueenEdith Sun 12-Jun-16 15:05:39

They're sitting down now.

I hadn't realised there was going to be a parade.

originalmavis Sun 12-Jun-16 15:08:29

When do they start dancing in the and doing the honey cokey? Mum said that's what they all did in the mall on VE day.

AuntieStella Sun 12-Jun-16 15:10:53

It's bagpipes and arm-waving by people in blue at the moment.

The commentators have described the nautical symbolism of the layout of The Mall at some length. Are the arm-wavers connected to that?

Inmyownlittlecorner Sun 12-Jun-16 15:12:09

I'm finding Gyles Brandreth a tad annoying!

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sun 12-Jun-16 15:16:32

I found the comment about there being enough loos the weirdest so far!

WallisSimpson11 Sun 12-Jun-16 15:16:52

Absolutely pointless-

MoggyP Sun 12-Jun-16 15:19:03

What do charities see as the benefits of having a Royal patron?

Genuine question.

The comments from representatives of the charities seem to be saying it's anything but pointless.

exLtEveDallas Sun 12-Jun-16 15:22:15

I'm quite liking it, and loved the Queens face when she saw the Britannia smile.

Pomp and Ceremony again. I just love it.

Oakley02 Sun 12-Jun-16 15:26:41

Agree about Gyles B being annoying - bit of a know-it-all, Clare Balding would have been better. Absolutely loved P Harry posing for selfies, what a smashing chap.

member Sun 12-Jun-16 15:27:34

Someone earlier on said the publicity doubles and donations rise(don't know by how much/how long sustained.

Is the person in the back of the horse bent double all the way down the mall?

QueenEdith Sun 12-Jun-16 15:28:18

I'm not sure I'd call people slow bicycling in mascot costumes either pomp or ceremony!

Would agree it's peculiarly British though.

Are the arm-wavers going to unite at the end of the parade to form a rainbow? (to match the weather today)

Oakley02 Sun 12-Jun-16 15:28:20

Oops, hush my mouth - just heard Clare B commentating .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now